About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Reporting to the Director of the Virginia Tech Language and Culture Institute (VTLCI), the Assistant Director for Student Services advises the Institute’s staff and international students in Blacksburg location, and other locations as needed, on immigration and adjustment matters, provides academic advising and university placement assistance for prospective university students, develops engagement programs interfacing with the greater university and local communities, and organizes and implements student activities. The Assistant Director advises staff and students at all LCI locations on the university admissions process and how to identify universities appropriate to students’ backgrounds and interests. The Assistant Director also serves as a Designated School Official (DSO) with the primary responsibility of ensuring students are compliant with federal regulations governing international students and exchange scholars. Considerable regulatory knowledge is expected. This position liaises with other international offices and professionals on campus and represents the Institute on university committees, meetings, and events. The Assistant Director may travel both nationally and internationally to represent the Institute and/or attend conferences or meetings to maintain and build professional knowledge. S/he is also on-call for evening and weekend emergencies.
- Master’s degree in college student personnel, higher education administration, counseling, international studies or related field
- Ability to serve as Designated School Official (DSO) and/or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO)
- Working familiarity with F-1 student regulations
- Ability to interpret and apply complex student guidelines, rules and regulations
- Working understanding of U.S. higher education and the university admissions process
- Experience advising students in a higher education environment
- Experience programming for a diverse student population
- Experience interacting with people from other countries on a frequent basis
- Ability to adapt well to unexpected situations and re-prioritize work according to changing circumstances
- Effective communication, presentation, organizational, database and time management skills
- Willingness and ability to travel to represent Institute and/or to maintain professional knowledge
- Fully trained and experienced Designated School Official (DSO) and/or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO)
- Fluency in a second language
- Extensive experience overseas living or studying abroad
Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Appointment Type: Restricted
Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 02/03/2017