The Senior Network Engineer leads design, implementation, operation, support, deployment and distribution of critical and complex voice, data, video, and converged communications services. This role advises users on available services and assists in determining best fit. This position identifies resources needed, develops schedules, and ensures timely completion of requests.
- Directs the investigation of new and interesting technologies.
Design and Implementation
- Leads end-to-end design and implementation of out data network, supporting distribution of converged communications services.
- Provides solutions by pursuing and resolving interoperability issues with users and appropriate vendors.
- Investigates new technologies and strategies for communication system deployment and integration into the production campus communication infrastructure.
- Directs the technical analysis of software and hardware.
- Writes requirements documents for evaluation of new hardware/software, as well as coordinates vendor product demonstrations, setup evaluation criteria and development recommendations for purchase
- Develops relationships with vendors.
- Partners with internal/external staff to develop requirements for new services and applications to meet the needs of the Northwestern community.
- Develops security definitions for the operation and management of the campus communications systems.
- Leads in the maintenance and integrity of university data.
- Executes data backup and recovery routines on a specified schedule or as requested.
- Represents Northwestern and presents at regional and national conferences.
- Maintains awareness of evolving information technologies through professional publications, outside contacts, and ongoing professional development..
- Leads complex day-to-day operational activities for maintaining the software and core processing environment of the data network including patching, backups, configuration, updating and documentation.
- Coordinates installation, maintenance and repair of ancillary and peripheral data, voice and mobility infrastructure, and corresponding software element configurations.
- Leads staff for problem-solving, preventive maintenance, and corrective actions to ensure the highest availability and overall integrity of Northwestern's distribution of voice, data, video, and converged communications services.
- Provides 2nd and 3rd tier support through a periodic on-call rotation.
- Consults with Service Operations and users to diagnose and resolve problems in a timely fashion while stressing user service.
- Analyzes and isolates root cause.
- Provides solutions to user questions and other queries such as connectivity problems, performance issues, functionality, outages etc.
- Utilizes available tools to monitor performance and respond appropriately.
- Leads projects ensuring timelines and project goals are met and meet expectations.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in telecommunications, computer science or related field; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 5 years of experience in telecommunications including (both Traditional and Voice over IP); traditional Private Branch platforms, Session Initiation Protocol and/or H.323 signaling; service deployment in a 5000+ user base production environment; TCP/IP protocol suite and Voice Signaling; deployment of a large-scale voice communications platform.
- 5 years of experience in Local and Wide Area Network systems, networks, and applications.
- Please see information highlighted below:
- Infrastructure (extends across applications): Cisco routers and switches, information security, Juniper routers, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook).
- Certification/Licensure: CCNA/CCNP/CCIE
- Analytical: Critical thinking, problem solving, decision making, read and interpret technical drawings, troubleshooting.
- Project: Collaboration and teamwork, facilitate collaboration, organizational skills, planning.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Infrastructure knowledge of Cisco routers and switches, information security, and Juniper routers.
- Analytical skills including critical thinking, decision making, problem solving, reading and interpreting technical drawings.
- Project skills including collaboration and teamwork, organizational skills, planning and crisis management. Please see information highlighted in tables.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- 5 Years of experience in Local and Wide Area Network systems, networks and applications.
- Experience with Cisco routers, switches and firewalls, information security, Juniper routers, Intrusion prevention/detection systems (IDS/IPS), Juniper routers and firewall, VPN (virtual private networks).
- CCNA/CCNP/CCIE vendor Certification/Licensure
- Ability to successfully interpret and adapt to policies, precedents and work directions for appropriateness to specific tasks or problems.
- Ability to maintain composure and work effectively in a high pressure setting.
- Energy and enthusiasm for this type of work, along with a clear vision to continue to develop and grow in knowledge and expertise.
- Direct experience providing a secure networking environment (both wired and wireless).
- Advanced knowledge and experience with quality of service across enterprise networks, Voice over IP, and high availability networking environments.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Problem solving
- Quality/Compliance with Process/Procedure
- Results Driven
- Strategic Thinking
- Independent/Self driven work
- Team Building
- Visionary Leadership
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.