| Harborview Medical Center has a 100% full time, days Health Services Nurse Manager position currently open in our UW Medicine Sleep Center. |
The Health Services Manager develops and oversees departmental cost centers including the Sleep Medicine Clinic and Sleep Lab procedural area to assure alliance with and adherence to the organization's mission, vision, values, strategic goals, and business strategies. The UW Medicine Sleep Center at Harborview is a 24/7 operational area.
Emphasizing service excellence, patient safety, employee engagement and organizational integration, the manager leads the department in overall program development and service priorities. The manager is accountable for all Patients are First goals by working to achieve their Leader Accountability Management metrics. Overall effectiveness is exhibited by:
Effective managing, developing, and evaluating the competence and satisfaction of assigned workforce.
Effective operational problem solving and communication at all levels.
Effective interdisciplinary and interdepartmental collaboration and service coordination.
Effective evaluation of departmental practices, policies, and continuous process improvement.
Effective planning and evaluation of space, resources, numbers, and skills of staff to fulfill mission.
1. Serves as a timely resource for staff in complex problem solving involving patient and family issues.
2. Maintains accessibility, response, and follow-through on off shifts and weekends.
3. Oversees employee schedules to ensure 24/7 coverage to effectively cover priority needs.
4. Oversee job development design, work processes and work flows.
5. Implements appropriate changes to improve effectiveness, productivity, efficiency that supports the overall goals for the department and organization.
6. Ensures departmental readiness including equipment, supplies, staff, and supervision.
7. Evaluates the purchase of new equipment and supplies for improved service delivery.
8. Ensure environmental safety compliance in work environment and processes.
PLANNING AND GOAL SETTING
1. Sets reasonable short and long- term unit/department goals, which align with the organization's mission, vision, values, and strategic goals.
2. Monitors performance toward goals and adjusts as necessary to accomplish.
3. Integrates concepts of Patients are Frist and continual performance improvement into planning, processes, and practices.
4. Solicits and considers customers' (physician, staff, patient, family, other department) input for unit/department planning.
5. Integrates changes in regulatory bodies' requirements into policies, procedures, and practices as necessary.
LEADERSHIP AND PROFESSIONALISM
1. Delegate's assignments/duties/committees to individuals/groups with consideration for appropriate levels of responsibility and authority.
2. Provides leadership to appropriate divisional and organizational committees, taskforces, and work teams.
3. Provides appropriate participation in the development and maintenance of unit/department policies, procedures, and protocols to guide the department's practices.
4. Models service excellence in daily practice.
5. Provides timely, ongoing, bi-directional communication to unit/department on management issues and goals.
6. Responsible for own professional learning needs including attendance at relevant educational offerings, completion of annual evaluation and competencies.
7. Ensures compliance with HMC Administrative, AACS and PCS policies, procedures, and guidelines
8. Establishes effective work priorities, methods and project flow for self and assigned workforce.
9. Attends appropriate divisional and organizational committees, taskforces, and work teams as needed.
10. Directs development and maintenance of policies, procedures, and protocols to guide departments' practices.
11. Investigates, resolves, or appropriately refers customer service issues.
12. Utilizes appropriate chain of command effectively.
13. Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and trends in relevant fields of healthcare.
14. Attends appropriate conferences, lectures, seminars.
15. Actively participates in professional organizations.
ORGANIZATION/TIME MANAGEMENT/DECISION MAKING & PROBLEM SOLVING 5%
1. Runs effective meetings, teams, etc that produce tangible, timely results.
2. Meets deadlines, project goals, and follows up on departmental/clinical/satisfaction issues in a timely manner.
3. Displays resourcefulness and innovation in decision-making and problem solving.
4. Demonstrates ability to consider the impact of unit/department-based decisions and actions on the overall organizational philosophy and goals.
5. Orchestrates change to improve clinical and organizational outcomes.
INTERNAL RELATIONS AND TEAMWORK
1. In collaboration with the director, administrator, department managers and Medical Director(s), coordinates, develops, and participates in departmental research, conferences, and special projects that improve the prestige of the departments and HMC within the medical community.
2. Coordinates and participates in the development of educational programs and hospital in-service education for all staff based on identified needs.
3. Demonstrates ability to compromise, cooperate, and negotiate appropriately.
4. Demonstrates maturity, poise, responsiveness, and judgment in day-to-day activities.
5. Collaborates and promotes team building with all disciplines and departments.
6. Inspires teams and individuals to give their best to achieve desired patient, team, and organizational outcomes.
7. Respects and welcomes diversity in team members' backgrounds and contributions.
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
1. Mentors, coaches, and develops staff for customer service and service excellence standards.
2. Hires based on behavioral interviewing techniques for right person to right role.
3. Creates an environment that is conducive to staff support, growth, and satisfaction.
4. Motivates, stimulates, and positively influences others.
5. Maintains competent employees through the orientation, evaluation, feedback, continuing education, competency standards and formal disciplinary action processes.
6. Keeps up-to-date on employee evaluations.
7. Provides a range of mechanisms for staff to voice concerns, give feedback or make suggestions.
8. Demonstrates appreciation of the organizational value of a diverse workforce.
9. Maintains appropriate staffing to fulfill service priorities.
10. Demonstrates knowledge and skill in working with labor issues/concerns.
11. Maintains all necessary paperwork (personnel files, leave records, PAF updates, etc) for unit/departmental employees.
1. Maintains a safe environment, identifies, and reports all safety related issues to the proper departments.
2. Uses HMC policy and procedures, reference manuals and qualified resources for guidance.
3. Responds appropriately to emergency situations and drills.
4. Ensures unit/department practices are compliant with regulatory agencies and standards.
5. Intervenes to address illegal/unethical/unprofessional professional practice of any member of the health care team.
6. Initiates, implements and evaluates appropriate CQI activities in the unit/department.
7. Reviews incident reports, complaints and other unanticipated events and initiates action plans as appropriate.
8. Ensures that the environment follows regulatory laws and standards.
1. Provides input into capital and operational budgets.
2. Routinely monitors, manages and controls responsible budgets reporting variance as appropriate.
3. Develops standards for and monitors employees' productivity.
4. Maintains final approval for unit/department payroll.
5. Manages resources effectively to cover priority needs.
6. Anticipates and works with Administrator on variances based on unanticipated changes that will affect budget.
PATIENT CARE MANAGEMENT
1. Maintains clinical knowledge base related to clinical area and practice standards for assigned areas.
2. Maintains appropriate age specific competencies for assigned areas.
3. Incorporates into decisions that affect clinical practice current trends in care delivery, human error, patient safety, technology, patient population, and economic climate.
4. Acts as a timely resource for staff in complex problem solving involving patient and family issues.
5. Actively elicits patient/family/physician/other discipline perceptions of care and makes changes for improvements.
6. Participates in clinical benchmarking, studies, and pilots for the improvement of patient safety and quality outcomes.
7. Maintains professional relationships through memberships in professional organizations, networking, and high professional visibility (certifications, speaking, publishing, etc.)
8. Coordinates clinical benchmarking and research studies for the improvement of quality outcomes as directed by the director, assistant administrator, and medical director.
9. Supervises development and maintenance of clinical databases to promote research and quality care delivery.
10. Oversees preventative maintenance, repairs, and obsolescence programs for all departmental equipment.
11. Oversees the evaluation and recommendation of purchases of new equipment.