Opening Date: Immediately
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Location: Chicago, IL
Reports To: Controller
How to Apply: https://platform.teachermatch.org/applyteacherjob.do?jobId=38153
The UNO Charter School Network (UCSN) believes that all students deserve the opportunity to realize their highest potential. Increasing in diversity but rooted in Hispanic communities, our educational model is anchored by strong parent partnerships, structured learning environments, rigorous curriculum, and an individualized approach that develops and empowers our students. For us, academic success is not a hope; it is an expectation.
Our vision is to develop a diverse group of intellectually curious and passionate civic leaders who act with integrity and who compete and excel locally, nationally, and globally.
Excellence – High Expectations, Growth, Achievement
Integrity – Transparency, Communication
Community – Teamwork, Collaboration
Innovation – 21st Century Learning Environment
Tenacity – “No Excuses, Whatever it Takes”, Passion
Accountability – Ownership, Outcomes, Responsibility
Consistent with the strategic priorities of the UNO Charter School Network (“UCSN” or “Organization”), the Staff Accountant will report directly to the Controller and assist with all accounting functions for the organization. UCSN has 12 elementary school, two high schools and one K-12 school.
Under supervision of the Controller, the Staff Accountant will be responsible for assisting with general ledger maintenance by creating journal entries for review of accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank account reconciliation, payroll, reporting of special revenue funds, and other transactions. The Staff Accountant will work among the accounting team and consistently cross train in order to create a deep accounting office and allow for constant improvement and refinement of services.
- Ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Chicago Public Schools accountability requirements and other applicable state and federal regulations.
- Prepare transactions for posting data to various ledgers, registers, journals and logs following established accounting techniques and procedures. Assists with maintenance of the various ledger accounts including reconciliation of the general ledger, revenue accounts, expenditures, and cash balances.
- Assist with preparation of adjusting entries based on results from reconciliation and general ledger maintenance to complete month end and year end closing.
- Ensures proper account coding for all transactions according to the chart of accounts.
- Assist with balancing and reconciling all payrolls processed and interface into financial accounting system.
- Assists in performing monthly reconciliation and annual audits of student activity funds.
- Assist with monthly bank reconciliation to insure all items have been properly recorded in general ledger for all bank accounts.
- Assist with the management of Fixed Assets within the accounting system and communicate as necessary with departments such as IT and facilities on security of assets
- Assist with external CPS reporting of enrollment, staffing, reimbursement and other required data in compliance with accountability standards of the charter contract.
- Assist and provide required data to districts independent auditors during annual audit process.
- Participate in cross training within the department as well as training of other staff in relation to appropriate accounting processes.
- Exercises discretion and security in order to maintain confidentiality and protect access to electronic accounting, payroll, and banking systems.
Commitment to Equity: Passionate about ensuring that every child, regardless of background or circumstance, receives an excellent education
Leadership: Coaches, mentors, and challenges others to excel despite obstacles and challenging situations. Builds positive relationships in and out of the organization
Focus on Data-Driven Results: Makes informed decisions to improve organizational outcomes by utilizing a data-driven approach
Innovative Problem-Solving: Approaches work with a sense of possibility and sees challenges as opportunities for creative problem solving; takes initiative to explore issues and find potential innovative solutions
Teamwork: Increases the effectiveness of surrounding teams through collaboration, constant learning and supporting others; sensitive to diversity in all its forms; respects and is committed to learning from others
Dependability: Does whatever it takes to consistently deliver with high quality under tight deadlines
Communication and Customer Service Skills: Communicates clearly and compellingly with diverse stakeholders in both oral and written forms; anticipates and responds to stakeholder needs in a high-quality and courteous manner