General DescriptionThe Data Services Manager manages the operations of the JHU Data Management Services (DMS) and Geographical Information Systems (GIS) unit including: a) team of four data management specialists and three GIS specialists that provide data management planning, training, archiving and geospatial data services and support to researchers across Johns Hopkins University, and b) new and ongoing collaboration and partnerships with other departments and units across JHU. In particular, the Manager must work closely with the Sheridan Libraries' Academic Liaisons and the Digital Research and Curation Center and the Welch Medical Library.
The Sheridan Libraries and University Museums are strongly committed to diversity. A strategic goal of the Libraries and Museums is to work toward achieving diversity when recruiting new staff and promoting existing staff. The Libraries and Museums prize initiative, creativity, professionalism, and teamwork. For information on the Sheridan Libraries, visit www.library.jhu.edu. For information on Evergreen Museum and Library and Homewood Museum, visit www.museums.jhu.edu.
JHU Data Services Team and Service Operations Management
Data Services Planning and Development
- Recruits, trains, and supervises team of four data management specialists and three GIS specialists and experts, including goal setting, performance management, and development.
- Promotes a culture of continuous improvement.
- Establishes and documents policies and service level expectations.
- Oversees benchmarking and ongoing assessment of consulting, training, archiving and geospatial services to inform service development.
- Coordinates with technical staff providing and supporting the relevant infrastructure and applications.
- Directs marketing activities for the unit by monitoring ongoing outreach to constituencies, assessing outreach efforts, and planning for regular and targeted marketing and communication efforts to grow service use.
- Manages all reporting and communications on the unit's progress with the Associate Dean for
- Research Data Management.
- Works with Associate Dean for Research Data Management on budgeting, contractual and legal matters.
Provision of Data Services
- Collaborates with the Associate Dean for Research Data Management and facilitates team planning to shape long-term strategic goals and identify annual top initiatives and projects.
- Manages scoping and development of annual initiatives drawing on project management best practices and planning to achieve success.
- Oversees progress of all projects and services and supports project teams. Manages ongoing development and growth of the Data Services training and outreach programs, identifying relevant and impactful training topics, delivery mechanisms, and resourcing needs.
- Directs ongoing development of the Data Services unit and various informational and analytic resources available through websites and online resources.
- Seeks and builds partnerships with other service units across Johns Hopkins to maintain and grow the integration of services in keeping with the One University strategic goal.
- Stays abreast of trends and issues in data management planning, sharing, access and curation including data management expectations and policies across funders and publishers.
- Partners with the Associate Dean for Research Data Management to develop and manage external partnerships.
- Manages inquiries from researchers for data management services and support. Provides consultative support to PIs including evaluation of data planning needs, assessing short and long term options and benefits, catering planning to specific granting agency requirements, and editing data management plans.
- Identifies data standards, metadata standards, best practices for data management, etc. to continuously build expertise and improve provision of service.
- Maintains knowledge on a broad range of data repositories including their submission, Intellectual
- Property, and use arrangements, and provide guidance on repository selection for deposit.
- Collaborates with others in the library to effectively communicate services to faculty, researchers, and departments.