Be a part of Brown Universityâ??s growing visual storytelling team. Help transform how the University engages with our community and shares Brownâ??s excellent reputation with the world.
The Visual Designer in Brownâ??s Office of University Communications (OUC) will work in cooperation with OUC project and art directors and in consultation with University staff to create attractive, user-centric, innovative designs for integrated, multi-platform use across Brownâ??s Web, digital and print media, aligned with the overall visual identity and strategic goals of the University.
Reporting to the art director, the Visual Designer will provide excellent creative service and customer support, representing the OUC as a leader and resource in advanced design and communications for the University.
The Visual Designer will apply design fundamentals to conceive the overall concept, design, look, and feel of each project across all related material in print and digital media, consistent with desired project impact, messaging, user experience, and visual identity. The Visual Designer will advise on all components of designed communications projects, including photography, graphic elements, colors, type treatment, Web and digital design and usability, and print finishing techniques and stock.
The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal and organizational skills, demonstrate initiative, flexibility, a collaborative nature and accepting of constructive feedback, as well as the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines while maintaining high quality product and services.
A print and digital portfolio demonstrating professional experience is a prerequisite for the position.
- Bachelorâ??s degree and a minimum of 3 years of design experience for multi-platform print and digital projects.
- Expertise in design fundamentals.
- Proficiency and experience with Apple OS, Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign and Photoshop), and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of printing and publication, including prepress and print production processes.
- An understanding of the importance of Web and digital strategies to improve communications.
- Knowledge of usability and user experience (UX/UI) principles and standards preferred.
- Experience with visual identity and branding preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, showing initiative and flexibility, strong creative service, collaborative instincts, and receptive of constructive feedback.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines while maintaining high quality. Ability to work well under pressure and deadlines.
- Knowledge of related technologies, such as digital asset and content management tools, and workflow systems, a plus.
- Demonstrated experience through a print and digital portfolio that must be available for review.
Background check - Criminal/Educational
Recruiting Start Date:2017-01-06-08:00
Job Posting Title:Visual Designer
Department:Office of University Communications
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.