With wide latitude for independent judgment supervises all phases of human resources programs to provide quality innovative and consultative services to entire employee population, including recruitment and retention, on-boarding, benefits, labor relations, employee relations, performance management, organizational planning and design, leadership development and succession planning, diversity and EEO, HR systems and records management, compensation, training, policy development and application, and legal compliance.
- Manage and participate in the development and implementation of an HR vision and strategy and related goals, objectives, policies, and priorities to align with the Institute's strategic plan and organizational objectives; continually monitor HR's operations and services and modify and adjust as necessary
- Provide innovative leadership and guidance for all the Institute's recruitment and retention efforts to ensure high quality experience for applicants, attraction of diverse pool of qualified candidates, and utilization of best practices in selection methods; lead training and guidance of search committees; participate as member and/or chairperson of search committee on select leadership positions; intervene to resolve issues and conflicts related to searches.
- Develop programs and strategies for employee training and development and participate in training and development as necessary; oversee the performance evaluation process, and HR's guidance for supervisors and employees as necessary on individual performance evaluation issues.
- Serve as advisor and consultant to Institute leadership on all human resources issues and manage HR department's services regarding employee relations, discipline and other employment matters.
- Participate in collective bargaining and other labor relations matters and ensure proper application of respective collective bargaining agreements.
- Oversee HR department administration of all personnel actions (i.e., new hires, promotions, transfers, status changes, resignations, terminations, retirements, etc.) and the transmission of information to Payroll to implement associated payroll actions.
- Oversee administration of administrator and union employee compensation systems, proper classification of all employees, and salary adjustments and increases.
- Supervise, in cooperation with the Assistant Director for Benefits Administration, the employee benefits program, including review and modification of offerings, providers, and brokers as necessary; ensure legal and procedural compliance of all benefits offerings, and employee communication.
- Manage, in cooperation with the HRIS Manager all aspects of human resources information systems (HRIS), including ongoing conversion of HR processes and functions, and operation of HR software programs.
- Participate in organizational design and change efforts including evaluation of staff efficiency and effectiveness; identify and recommend opportunities for improvement.
- Contribute to Institute's diversity initiative and include proper consideration of diversity and inclusion principles in all HR activities, as appropriate; develop and implement programs that enhance a sense of community and employee appreciation and foster an inclusive environment; and leadership to maintain a climate of cooperation and mutual respect.
- Develop and modify HR policies and procedures to ensure legal compliance, provide appropriate support and recourse for employees and foster a positive workplace; ensure compliance and application of policies; investigate alleged policy violations and recommend appropriate action or remedy as necessary.
- Further develop customer service orientation of human resources to best serve Pratt employees, employee communication, and employee recognition efforts.
- Perform all other related tasks as assigned.
Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree in related field or HR certification strongly preferred.
Required are at least seven years of related experience including at least five years managerial/supervisory experience; experience in higher education and a unionized environment strongly preferred.
Proficiency with HRIS, HR and benefits software, payroll systems, internet and other relevant computer programs; familiarity with COLLEAGUE and ADP preferred.
Excellent oral and written communication, presentation and interpersonal skills required; demonstrated discretion and tact with confidential information and challenging situations.
Knowledge of federal, state, and local employment laws, pertinent regulations and guidelines higher education HR, ethical workplace practices, management theories, and other relevant best practices.
Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion; in-depth knowledge of the educational benefits of diversity and high level of cultural competence also essential.