Department: School of Business
Instructional Designer and Technologist
The George Mason University School of Business invites applications for the position of Instructional Designer and Technologist. This is a full-time administrative faculty position with full benefits. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
Develop and Support Teaching with Technology:
- In collaboration with program administration, assist and support faculty in the development of appropriate online teaching and learning strategies, and work with faculty teaching face-to-face or online to enhance instruction through the use of online tools;
- Develop and provide recommendations for interface design, sequencing of instruction, multimedia and graphic elements, use of assessments, and design of course materials and activities; and provide curriculum design advice and expertise to faculty in the evaluation and implementation of software and online tools to meet user needs;
- Provide individual course support to instructional faculty teaching in an online environment; and work with faculty throughout the online course development process, to include support in the design, setup, and delivery of new online courses, as well as provision of post course assessment, leading to revision and enhancement of resources and course delivery;
- Work with online vendors/publishers to seamlessly incorporate material into courses (e.g., XanEdu, McGraw-Hill); collaborate with program administration and Mason's online partner to support effective design and growth of new online graduate programs; and collaborate with administration and faculty to support in-house projects to develop new online course offerings for undergraduate students;
- Work with Program Directors, using Blackboard organizations and other appropriate online tools, to create Web sites and resource collections to strengthen faculty, student and alumni communities of practice;
- Be available to address urgent faculty Blackboard issues on weekends; and support faculty in the setup and management of online tests and exams, particularly during midterm and end-of-term assessment periods; and
- Keep abreast of the latest instructional technologies that may benefit student learning (e.g., lecture recording systems, online tools from textbook publishers).
- Ensure online courses are ready prior to courses going "live;" and assist faculty with formative course reviews prior to the launch of new courses, and with summative reviews and course improvement after the launch period; and
- Assess the effectiveness of instruction through surveys and/or other methods; and work with program administration to develop a methodology and tools for course assessment, so as to provide support to faculty in refining their course plans, and to foster greater consistency of design and effectiveness across programs and courses.
Develop and Provide Training:
- Create training resources and job aides for faculty and hold faculty development workshops on the application of key learning technologies (e.g., Blackboard Collaborate Ultra, Kaltura);
- Collaborate with the university's Learning Support Services and with the Office of Digital Learning to share best practices and stay informed regarding university-adopted technologies; and
- Seek input from faculty, staff and administrators on emerging needs and developing solutions.
Other Duties as Assigned:
- Work on committees and special projects as assigned.
- Master’s degree in education, instructional technology, educational media instructional systems design, or a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Experience working with staff and faculty to develop face-to-face, hybrid and fully online courses;
- Experience collaborating with subject matter experts to provide design and technical expertise, in a partnership of mutual respect;
- Experience in using or supporting use of learning management systems (preference given to those with Blackboard Learn Release 9.1 experience);
- Experience in creation of online learning environments, Web sites, visual presentations, online communities, and online collaboration tools (Preference will be given to those with experience with Blackboard Collaborate Ultra and Kaltura. Skills in the use of HTML and CSS, and familiarity with design for accessibility, are also highly desired);
- Conversant in new and emerging technologies to support learning;
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines simultaneously;
- Demonstrated high degree of independence and initiative;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; and
- Good citizenship and the ability to work well with colleagues.
- Experience in a higher education setting and ability to work in a university environment; and
- Experience leading technical training and workshops.
The School of Business:
Dedicated to excellence in teaching and research, the School of Business educates future business leaders through world-class, innovative academic programs and strategic business partnerships. Ranked in 2015 among the top 100 undergraduate business school programs, part-time MBA programs, and online EMBA programs by the U.S. News and World Report, the School of Business is accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International. The faculty is deeply engaged in the regional, national and international business communities; and their academic expertise combined with real-world experience provides a bridge in the classroom from academic theory to business practice.
George Mason University:
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with global distinction in a range of academic fields. Located in northern Virginia near Washington, D.C., Mason provides students access to diverse cultural experiences and the most sought-after internships and employers in the country. Mason offers strong undergraduate and graduate degree programs in engineering and information technology, business, organizational psychology, healthcare, and the visual and performing arts. With Mason professors conducting groundbreaking research in areas such as climate change, public policy, and the biosciences, George Mason University is a leading example of the modern, public university.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA36Dz at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and list of professional references. Candidates will be contacted directly should additional materials be required. Review of applications will begin on February 4, 2017, and continue until the position is filled.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.