| TEACHING ASSOCIATE-SOCIAL STUDIES (2 Hires)|
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS LABORATORY HIGH SCHOOL
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign invites applications for the position of Teaching Associate in Social Studies at University High School. There are two positions available, one teaching 8th grade "Introduction to Social Studies" and the second teaching 9th grade "World History".
University Laboratory High School is a 5 year-public school for 320 select students. The position of Teaching Associate is a 9-month, renewable, non-tenure track academic staff appointment at the University of Illinois. Salary is commensurate with degree and experience. Both positions would begin in August 2017 after the successful completion of a criminal background check. All applicants will be considered for both positions unless they request otherwise.
Common Responsibilities Include:
- Develop innovative curricula and teaching strategies, in support of the school's "lab mission" which includes:
o Development of innovative curriculum and its dissemination.
o Advancement of pedagogical practice to academically talented students and its dissemination.
o Engagement in professional service on and off the university campus.
o Partnerships with the university on research opportunities
o Partnerships with other schools and community entities.
- Teach either one 11th/12th grade social studies elective each semester OR serve as Social Studies department chair.
- Participate in school activities normally required of teachers, such as attendance at faculty, department and grade-level meetings, committee membership, and assistance with and support of school functions.
Primary Responsibility for 8th Grade Teaching Associate:
- Teach 3 sections of 8th grade "Introduction to Social Studies", which includes a segment on using oral history to explore topics in social justice.
Primary Responsibility for 9th grade Teaching Associate:
- Teach 3 sections of 9th grade "World History", with a focus on ancient and medieval world.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Evidence of effective and creative teaching experience.
- Graduate degree in a social science discipline or documented evidence of past teaching or professional experience in a related area.
- Experience with administering an academic department/team and/or familiarity with various social science disciplines.
8th grade Teaching Associate only:
- Experience with conducting open-ended interviews, documentary production, and/or project management.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
Application Process: Please complete your candidate profile at jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, resume, 3 letters of recommendation and sample lesson plans and examples of innovative classroom activities or materials developed by the candidate. The online application will also require the entry of contact information for 3 professional references.
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by March 3, 2017. Interviews may begin prior to the close of the search, however, no hiring decision will be made prior to March 3, 2017. All candidates will be considered for both available positions unless candidates specifically request to be considered for only one.
For further information regarding applications procedures please contact Jennifer Steiling at email@example.com.
Illinois is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or criminal conviction history. Illinois welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).