The Lead Graphic Designer serves as the institution’s brand “guardian,” responsible for the visual integrity of the Conservatory across all external-facing platforms, both digital and print. The Lead Graphic Designer plays a central role in shaping the story of the new Boston Conservatory at Berklee (BCB), translating core values and messaging propositions into captivating visuals and creative campaigns that inspire audiences and leave a lasting, positive impression. In addition to overseeing the quality and consistency of all BCB- specific collateral, the Lead Graphic Designer is tasked with conceptualizing creative solutions for clients across campus, and continually enhancing and evolving the Conservatory brand into an internationally recognized institution of excellence and prestige.
Essential Function/Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Ambassador for brand standards, monitoring brand integrity and consistency across all platforms; must also analyze competitive and comparative brands to inform design process and find solutions that set the Conservatory apart.
- Art direct and manage student workers, contracted designers, and Conservatory marketing colleagues, as needed, in the creation of institutional materials, providing detailed instruction and feedback to maximize quality of end product.
- Interface with Conservatory clients to understand and advise on design needs, and collaborate colleagues at both BCB and Berklee in concept development and design ideation.
- Lead the conceptualization, design and production of a cohesive family of branded print and web materials for the institution, with consideration of the Conservatory’s diverse audiences. Design pieces include: institutional publications, mailers, advertisements, performance collateral, special event collateral, print and digital signage, digital communications, brochures, letters, stationery, and more.
- Ensure the quality and integrity of final assets for marketing campaigns and presentations as requested, demonstrating expertise in brand strategy and execution, user experience design, publication and layout design, typography, photography, image editing, and illustration.
- Prepare clean, functional templates that anticipate design and communication needs of client, to be used by graphic design assistants and select Conservatory colleagues; preserve integrity of branded elements by demonstrating sound judgment in restricting editing capabilities, as necessary.
- Undertake design projects in collaboration with the marketing team, coordinating timelines and production schedules internally, liaising with print and media vendors, and attending press okays for quality-control of publications.
- Collaborate with the web team to maintain the visual integrity and ongoing design of the BCB website, providing creative direction and revisions to improve usability and streamline user experience. Responsible for the creation of all images and graphic elements across the site and social media platforms, adhering to best practices and precise specifications.
- Manage and maintain BCB’s photography archives, selecting images for use in marketing collateral and anticipating future photography needs, with consideration of color, composition, and equal representation of institutional programs and student population. Prepare and retouch photos for use in digital and print collateral as required.
- Innovate inefficient processes relating to design work for improved operations and time management.
- Organize and archive completed design projects in a clear, consistent manner for BCB records.
Additional Work Details:
- May work evenings/weekends