State University of New York (SUNY), Empire State College invites applications for the position of Executive Vice President for Administration. The college, which is preparing for its 10-year reaccreditation from the Middle States Commission on Higher Education visit in 2019, is a member of the SUNY system and formed with a statewide mission. The college operates in 34 locations across the state of New York, at 10 sites internationally and supports a robust online student service and program delivery presence. Students studying online are from all 50 states of the U.S. and in 50 other countries.
The Opportunity: The executive vice president for administration (EVPA) is an integral leader in setting and executing college-wide strategy and driving institutional outcomes. The executive vice president for administration reports to the president and works closely with the other members of the senior management team at SUNY Empire State College to advance the college in providing high-quality academic opportunities to diversified learners across New York state and around the globe.
The EVPA provides leadership and strategic direction for SUNY Empire State College’s finance and administration division. The EVPA leads a group of three experienced associate vice presidents (administration, information technology, and human resources) and oversees the college’s human resources, information technology, budget and finance, facilities, financial aid and student accounts, and college-wide project management functions. The EVPA, in partnership with the president and her cabinet, anticipates and helps ensure that the college responds to the needs of the communities it serves. S/he honors the contexts and cultures of the college’s statewide and international footprint, while leading the college community as a high performing and well-coordinated single institution. The EVPA, as an ambassador of the college, assists the president in advocating for the college through state and federal legislative bodies, within the SUNY system and across other stakeholder groups. S/he speaks both prominently and persuasively to internal and external audiences about matters of critical concern to the college’s mission and its learners, represents and advances the work of the college and helps promote the college’s visibility and reputation as a leader in innovative and student centered education.
The EVPA is one of two executive vice presidents within the college and, as such, is expected to model and help develop strong leadership practices across the college community. The EVPA encourages ownership of the strategic plan and its objectives throughout the college and plays a lead role in the college strategic planning process, ensuring that priorities are clearly articulated, resources applied intelligently, and outcomes are clearly measured and communicated to stakeholders.
The successful EVPA will:
- understand and appreciate the relationship between the administrative offices in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., and the college’s physically distributed locations and virtual presence;
- maintain a focus on accountability, outcomes, and quality, especially in the context of the Middle States Commission on Higher Education standards, internal controls, and regulatory compliance;
- support the college’s governance bodies to promote sound principles of shared governance within the context of the college’s tradition, SUNY policies, and the accountability and responsibilities of the president;
- lead the college in leveraging data and increasing transparency to inform decisions, particularly around the use of limited fiscal and human capital resources;
- drive best practices that build employee engagement, performance, and job satisfaction;
- become part of an entrepreneurial drive to create new and sustainable sources of enrollment and other revenue;
- establish a solid working relationship with and gain the confidence of the college community, the college’s Senate and key individuals in the SUNY system;
- leverage a strong sense of integrity, humor and motivation to match the college culture and;
- embrace and progress the college’s commitment to equity of access, outcomes and promise across all students, faculty and staff.
The successful candidate must possess a Master's degree in business, finance or related discipline from a regionally accredited institution and must have ten years of leadership experience with progressively responsible, relevant budgeting experience culminating with budgets greater than $20 million. The next EVPA will have a proven commitment to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Experience managing internal controls and enterprise risk management initiatives and experience with coordination of the campus capital plan, facilities planning and management will be essential for this position.
Location: The College's administrative offices are located in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., a small city with a vibrant atmosphere. Picturesque tree-lined streets with rows of gracious old-style Victorian houses and the restored spa areas reflect the city's colorful history. Numerous small sidewalk cafes, bookstores and boutiques, a major commerce/shopping district on the outskirts of town, and the world-famous racetrack make for a very livable town. The Saratoga and Adirondacks regions boast myriad lakes and forests, and host an array of family fun parks, festivals, historical sites, and museums. Albany, the state's capital, is a short drive down the Northway, and New York City, Boston, and Montreal are within a 3.5-hour drive.
Application: Interested candidates should submit only a cover letter and résumé/CV to RPA Inc. at email@example.com. Please do not submit references at this stage, as they will not be retained. For a confidential discussion or to make a nomination, please call Kendra Mozug, Search Manager, at 800-992-9277. The first review of candidates will begin on February 9, 2017, and interviews will commence thereafter. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Empire State College supports all efforts to enrich its community through a steadfast commitment to excellence through diversity.
Empire State College is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer.