| As a division of Cornell Dining, Cornell Catering is the preferred catering service for Cornell University events and is uniquely qualified to serve the Cornell community and beyond. We are proud to work for Cornell and we place a strong emphasis on Cornell Pride. Our focus on students is one of the many concepts that differentiate Cornell Catering from other local caterers. With its team of experienced professional staff, Cornell Catering is a full-service caterer that provides incredible food and beverages to guests for formal banquets, elegant weddings, or intimate dinners all of different amounts. Over the past thirty-five years, Cornell Catering has worked with clients to create customized events that meet specific objectives and budgets.|
The SO-08 lead cook is responsible for direct supervision, or assist in supervision, of all facets of the daily operations/food productions for Cornell Catering and Cornell Dinning.
This position supports any and all culinary efforts during assigned shift and/or at assigned events or units. The Cook is responsible for maintaining operational standards and adhering to menu standards and client specifications.
More specifically, this role will:
- Provide hands-on training, oversight, and functional supervision of the dining/catering team(s). Works closely with the Chefs on training and evaluation of employees. Promote teamwork between staff through training and coaching.
- Menu Planning; work with Catering Chefs to develop menu development and presentation standards. Test recipes using food management system and ensure recipes and productions details are followed consistently. Ensuring product quality as well as safety, health, and sanitation regulations are maintained.
- Collaborate with Chefs with planning the execution of food production and off site supervision and must contribute creative ideas for special events and help create memorable moments.
- Order, receive, and store food and supplies while maintain inventory control through computerized inventory systems. Assist in completing in-house financial tasks as it relates to inventory control.
- Responsible for all parts of meal preparation, garnishing and delivery of a full variety of foods as assigned by the Chefs or other management, including breakfast, lunch, and dinner service. Also including soups, sauces, casseroles, meats, and vegetables in an ethical manner. Coordinates and oversees the timely production and presentation of all menu items. Maintain portion control through standardized recipes or as directed. Control the amounts of food prepared to prevent waste.
- Maintain N.Y.S. health code standards and HAACP procedures are maintained in assigned areas. Maintain all NY State Health codes including, but not limited to temperature safe handling procedures and proper sanitary restraints & uniforms
High school diploma, or equivalent, and 5 –7 years of related experience, in preparing a full range of entrees, sauces, soups, and accompaniments, in addition to, food preparation and knowledge of food cooking processes and techniques, e.g. grilling, frying, roasting, sautéing, broiling and steaming.
- Must have a solid base of culinary knowledge with understanding of production, ordering, inventory and cost.
- Must be able to produce all types of entrees, soups, starches, vegetables, sauces, ethnic specialty, and other foods. Must be skilled in presenting and garnishing food
- Must have a working knowledge of the use and maintenance requirements for the following equipment: Char broilers, steam jacket kettles, pressure steamers, various ovens, slicers, mixers, choppers, woks, specialty grills and various hand tools
- Good customer service, leadership, interpersonal and organization skills.
- Must be able to demonstrate knife skills.
- Knowledge of standard table measure.
- Able to read and convert recipes to production needs.
- Basic skills in reading, writing, English speaking and math (adding, subtracting, dividing, multiplying, using fractions).
- Be able to lift 30 lbs. occasionally and up to 50 lbs. (minimal). Regular exposure to heat, cold, steam, kitchen equipment such as slicers, steamers, fryers, ovens. Prolonged periods of standing. Should expect to be on feet majority of shift, and conduct repetitive motion, such as chopping, stirring, mixing. Be able to reach over your head. Occasional squatting and frequent bending.
University Job Title:Cook S08
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Contact Name:Dana Burton
Number of Openings:1
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.2017-01-04-08:00