The Senior Web Server and Application Administrator will plan and perform setup, maintenance, monitoring and problem determination of the web application server infrastructure to ensure web applications perform as expected and can handle future growth. This position will have a primary focus on Linux (Red Hat) and Microsoft based web servers and SQL databases, and provide backup to other disciplines.
Please Note: Occasional night and weekend work required.
Strategic System Planning:
- Functions as a technical generalist responsible for the overall health and performance of web servers and web applications.
- Works with web servers, databases, network and security to create and maintain a robust technical infrastructure.
- Provides suggestions on current and future infrastructure changes based on capacity projections and performance monitoring.
- Suggests standards and guidelines for application server configurations based on best practices and needs of applications development teams.
- Works closely with application development teams to implement solutions based on current and future server configurations.
- Participates in application planning and design.
- Develops disaster recovery plans and performs exercises including backup/recovery procedures and higher availability configurations.
- Installs, configures, and maintains Red Hat based servers and Windows servers (Apache, Node.js, Tomcat, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Database, SSO and others as appropriate).
- Applies patches, hot fixes, and new releases to web applications and the server software (including in-house developed software).
- Develops tools to automate administration and monitoring of Red Hat web servers.
- Troubleshoots problems that may arise, getting to the root cause to facilitate solving the problems.
- Documents systems and processes in a consistent format, developing policies and standard procedures.
- Maintains operational monitoring and security auditing, working with other IT and development staff to ensure that all appropriate patches are applied in an automated and timely fashion.
- Acquires deep application-level knowledge of the systems as well as contributes to their overall design.
- Runs, tests, and deploys distributed applications inside software containers (e.g., Docker).
- Supports development and maintenance of NodeJS and PHP web applications.
- Participates in meetings with customers and stakeholders both internal and external to the University.
- Maintains an in-depth knowledge of operating systems and an educated awareness of evolving information.
- Works with development teams to harden, enhance, document and generally improve the operability of the web applications.
- Performs related duties as required or assigned.
- Leads troubleshooting of application, operating system, server hardware, network communications and storage problems with infrastructure.
- Consults with team members on best practices.
- Provides data and metrics to support requirements and performance tuning decisions.
- Mentors colleagues, serving as a point of escalation for support requests and a resource for relevant areas of expertise.
- Manages complex projects, ensuring timelines and deliverables are met and meet expectations.
- Champions utilization of best practices and standards, and ensures compliance with IT/University policies.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- At least 3 years of experience working with Windows Server and Red Hat based servers;
- Please see information highlighted below”
- Enterprise Applications: Web Content Management System, specifically Cascade Server.
- Infrastructure (extends across applications): Amazon Web Services (AWS), Apache, Code Repositories (Git, Subversion), information security, LDAP, Linux Operating System, Mac OS X Operating System, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook), OpenAM (Identity Management), Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), SQL/MySQL/Postgres, Tomcat, Windows Operating System, Microsoft SQL Server, Solarwinds.
- Analytical: critical thinking, debugging, decision making, judgment, problem-solving, troubleshooting, use-case analysis.
- Project: Code documentation, collaboration and teamwork, facilitate collaboration, functional documentation, iterative & incremental development, organizational skills, planning, Server setup documentation.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Familiarity with relational database construction and maintenance (Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL);
- Strong programming skills in one or more of: Bash, C, Perl, Python, Ruby, PHP, JS;
- Experience with SQL and at least one commonly deployed database system;
- Experience with a version control system that is used for software development and other version control tasks (Git);
- Experience working with development teams;
- Experience with task runners and process automation (Gulp, Grunt);
- Helpful, respectful, approachable and team oriented, building strong working relationships and a positive work environment;
- Communicates effectively one-to-one, in small groups and in public speaking contexts; writes precise, well-organized emails, letters and proposals while using appropriate vocabulary and grammar;
- Stays current on technical/professional information; identifies methods to improve work procedures or systems; solicits feedback from customers, peers and superiors;
- Able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- 5+ years of experience administering large-scale Linux installations;
- Proficiency with web content management systems and platforms (e.g., Cascade Server);
- Proficiency in command line scripting (bash, python) for process automation, file synchronization, and application deployment;
- A master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired;
- 5+ years of progressively responsible experience in the operation of enterprise-grade server and storage infrastructure;
- 5+ years of experience and expertise with VMWare, Windows, Red Hat, and Macintosh OS software;
- Familiarity with system monitoring tools like SolarWinds;
- Familiarity with cloud infrastructures like AWS, Azure, or Google cloud.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.