F.T.E.: 100%; start July 1, 2017
Reports to: Head of School
Direct reports: Assistant Director of Admission; Admission Associate(s)
Salary: commensurate with experience; an attractive benefits package included
JOB SCOPE :
The Director of Admission and Financial Aid collaborates with the school’s senior leadership to envision and enroll a student body whose diversity and potential will enable the school to fulfill its ambitious mission. With the Head of School and Associate Head of School, s/he develops a strategic vision that meets school-wide admission and enrollment goals. S/he leads the Admission team to realize that vision through the design and implementation of both a multi-year strategy and yearly tactical action plans.
The Director of Admission and Financial Aid is charged with:
- serving as the key “brand ambassador” for the school and training school employees and volunteers on clear, consistent messaging about the school’s mission and educational program;
- developing strong relationships with team members, staffulty, volunteers, access organizations and middle school counselors;
- designing and improving admission-related systems, including data-collection and analytics;
- providing robust research and metrics for school leadership to review and use in support of institutional goals;
- activating the school community—staffulty, students, parents and alumni-- in support of the admission and enrollment process;
- collaborating with the advancement team to develop outreach materials which support the many facets of the admissions program;
- leading and managing the tuition assistance program in order to meaningfully advance the school’s admission, enrollment and retention goals;
- managing the re-enrollment process;
- understanding issues of diversity, equity and inclusion within an independent school context and working to advance DEI within the school;
- continuing to increase the yield of applicants who will increasingly reflect the richness and diversity of the Bay Area.
Key responsibilities : The Director of Admission and Financial Aid...
- develops long and short term admission strategies (well-informed by data and by the school’s mission and institutional goals) and activates the school community to meet annual admission goals in compliance with the NAIS and CAIS Principles of Good Practice and the Bay Area Admission Directors agreements.
- thoughtfully envisions and implements admission practices and systems to advance the school’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- plans, implements and creatively improves admission programs, including the open house and student visit programs.
- organizes, assigns and prepares the staffulty to assume various roles and shared responsibilities in the admissions process.
- supervises, supports, and evaluates members of the admission team (Assistant Director and Admission Associates) and fosters a strong culture of high performance, mutual support and professional growth.
- selects, trains and supervises the parent admission coordinators who will in turn recruit and engage approximately 100 parent volunteers to support open houses and campus tours.
- develops and iterates a rubric for evaluating applicants.
- along with the Admission and College Counseling teams as well as the Academic Dean, develops a robust data collection and analysis capacity to inform the admission process and track student success.
- collaborates with the Head of School, Associate Head of School and CFO to develop and support financial aid policies, strategy and tactics to allocate tuition assistance funds in support of multiple enrollment goals.
- serves as an advisor to 6-8 students.
The Ideal Candidate
- finds resonance with The Bay School mission, philosophy and precepts;
- has served as a Director of Admission and Financial Aid, preferably in a competitive urban market, for a minimum of 5 years;
- has a proven track record of using data-analysis to inform successful enrollment strategies;
- has a proven track record of successful collaboration and innovation;
- is culturally competent, especially with regard to management and communication;
- understands educational landscape of the Bay Area and The Bay School’s unique value proposition and can speak authentically and compellingly to diverse internal and external audiences;
- understands the collaborative role admission and the Director of Admission and Financial Aid play within an independent school.
- possesses a growth mindset and uses feedback to improve her/himself and the admission team.
- possesses a can-do, roll-up-the-sleeves spirit.
Note that this is an exempt position and that there are significant evening and weekend