The Director of Field Studies is responsible for designing and coordinating a K-12 field studies program informed by the school’s mission and educational philosophy, and integrated with its academic program. The field studies curriculum enhances the Sequoyah experience as students are intentionally led towards increasing levels of responsibility, selfreliance and leadership.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Field Studies will:
• Manage risk for all aspects of the field studies program including:– ensuring guidelines and safety procedures are reviewed in advance and adjusted as necessary for local and international destinations, and that they are understood by trip leader, staff and chaperones – establishing and maintaining a written protocol set to industry standards for maintaining records, requiring release forms and medical authorizations, documenting health and safety incidents – ensuring appropriate staffing (considering needed experience and student-adult ratios) for all field studies activities – maintaining a trip-ready inventory of camping gear, including tents, stoves, kitchen equipment, etc. – training and supporting new faculty and staff in becoming familiar with Sequoyah’s overnight and field trip guidelines and practices until they are ready to act as trip leaders – orienting volunteer chaperones so that they are well-acquainted with their role and responsibilities – establishing processes to ensure that consistent standards apply across the field studies program and activities – assuring that students and their families are informed in advance about a trip’s activities and educational purpose
• Provide planning and logistical support for all teachers who act as overnight trip leaders.
• Work with students and teachers to integrate field studies curriculum and classroom curricula.
• Document field studies curriculum.
• Serve as trip leader for some day trips and overnight trips.
• Assure proactive communication with parents before and after trips.
• Support field studies day-trips.
• Manage field studies budget, anticipating equipment needs and trip schedules.
• Oversee the work of vendors, outfitters or other consultants.
• Collaborate effectively with members of the administrative team in support of the goals of the field studies program.
• Represent the school in its values and mission.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Director.