Oppenheimer & Co. Inc. is currently seeking a research associate to support our senior analyst for Energy Strategy. The position will be located in New York.
The associate will be responsible for supporting all aspects of the Senior Energy Strategist’s franchise, including maintaining databases, conducting industry and company analysis (e.g. comparable company tables, oil and gas macro data), reviewing news and company updates, preparing research reports and marketing presentations, and eventually interacting with financial advisors and clients.
The successful applicant will possess: advanced Microsoft office skills, experience with FactSet and Bloomberg (or a similar platform) and basic knowledge of oil & gas (though the latter is not essential). Basic financial statement knowledge is also recommended. The candidate does not need to hold the research licenses in order to be hired, but will be required to sit for those exams if hired.
This is an ideal entry-level position for a highly motivated individual with a minimum of two years of work experience who demonstrates professional maturity, intellectual curiosity, and attention to detail.
In addition to the above, we look for people who possess, or have the potential to possess, the following characteristics:
- A passion for the stock market and financial research. It is highly advantageous to have prior exposure to the financial markets and research function.
- Financial/economic course work leading to a well-developed acumen for modeling, accounting, and valuation of securities;
- Strong writing and analytical skills. Associates are responsible for writing and producing equity research reports that incorporate financial analysis, as well as marketing presentations and materials;
- Strong sales and communication skills. As time progresses, associates will interact with internal sales and trading and external clients. Responsiveness and professionalism is important;
- Initiative and ability to work independently; ability to take risks and think outside the box, an ability to handle high-pressure situations; and a strong work ethic;
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously;
- Strong PC skills: Excel, PowerPoint, Access and FactSet/Bloomberg
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify in the subject line which position you are applying for; inquiries that do not specify will not be considered.