| GENERAL DUTIESI.T. Support Assistants support routine operations and problem resolution of computing and/or communications functions at a College or Unit. They work in technical support, applications development, operations, help desk, and similar environments, as well as in the field where equipment may be located.Work tasks include as:|
* Operating, transporting, adjusting, and installing/configuring computing and related equipment
* Communicating with technology users and staff to understand, identify, document and resolve problems
* Performing simple repairs to computing and related equipment.This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.htmlCONTRACT TITLEIT Support AssistantFLSANon-exemptCAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATIONThe Atrium Learning Center at New York City College of Technology is seeking a part-time IT Support Assistant who can support routine operations and problem resolution of computing and printing functions. He/she will work closely with the full-time IT Assistant on a variety oftasks: upgrading and expanding computer stations, updating and installing software, expanding internet capacity, maintaining and troubleshooting the print manager plus system, working with end users on technical difficulties, as needed, installing and supporting a data management system, and perform simple repairs. An understanding of network security and the functionality of servers is required.Under the supervision of the full-time IT Assistant, the part-time IT Support Assistant will perform technical work in the Atrium Learning Center. The successful candidate will perform routine operations, resolve problems related to computing and/or communications, and perform related tasks. He/she will be accountable for the following:Routine Operations- operates, transports, makes minor adjustments to, and helps install and configure equipment such as:
* Computing devices of all types, including mainframe computers, microcomputers, and personal computing devices.
* Computer peripherals and related equipment, including equipment to support multimedia applications (video, audio, and conferencing).
* Assists with data storage operations. Transfers data from one medium/format to another. Performs routine back up and recovery tasks. Transports and/or transmits designated data in any format to other locations as directed.
* As directed, makes minor adjustments and implements routine technical updates to hardware and software (including networks, operating systems, applications software, Web pages, and data tables).Problem Resolution- communicates with technology users and other technology staff to understand the details of work assignments and the nature of problems. May log or document problem reports. The activities may include:
* Tests computer and communications equipment to check its capacity and capability to perform as specified and report findings.
* Identifies problems regarding computer, peripheral, or communications equipment, and the operating environment.
* Determines the causes of malfunctions by various methods (e.g., observation, use of diagnostic software or equipment).
* Informs a supervisor or designated contact for repairs. Documents findings and actions taken in appropriate logs. Follows up to assure problems have been resolved.
* May perform simple repairs such as replacing faulty computer, peripheral and communications equipment and /or component parts (e.g., boards, cards, monitors, cables, communications circuits), fixing electromechanical components (e.g., switches, relays, transformers) and tuning/adjusting components to correct malfunctions.Related Tasks:
* May enter data into, or operate, computer based systems in performing work, including problem logs and help desk systems.
* Maintains standards for safety and for the proper use of equipment and tools.
* Adheres to uniform performance standards and efficient work methods. Provides timely and effective service.
* Occasionally assists in orientation and training of new staff.
* May temporarily supervise other personnel.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS1. High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent2. Eighteen months of related full-time work experience or equivalent, such as completion of eighteen college credits in Information Technology3. Demonstrated English Language proficiency4. A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.COMPENSATIONNew Hire: $19.68 per hour*Incumbent: $22.25 per hour*This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment only.BENEFITSCUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.HOW TO APPLYVisit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.CLOSING DATEOpen until filled with review of resumes to being on January 23, 2017.JOB SEARCH CATEGORYCUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/TechnicalEQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITYCUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.*Location:
* NYC College of Technology*Job Title:
* IT Support Assistant (Hourly) - Atrium Learning Center*Job ID:
* 16175*Full/Part Time: