Under limited supervision, this Innovation/AV Systems Engineer will be responsible for direct support of digital communication services and activities at the Segal Visitor Center, the gateway to the Evanston Northwestern campus. This support portfolio falls primarily in two areas: (1) support of the cloud-based applications delivering multimedia content that introduces visitors to the stories about Northwestern University, and (2) support of the installed AV hardware in the Visitor Center. The primary responsibility of this staffer is provision of first and second tier support for all users of these digital technologies in the Segal Visitor Center. Engagement with innovation in presentation and display systems is the focus for this position. The position will be responsible for support of all custom software, all AV services, and AV technical support for the Segal Visitor Center. This position is also responsible for overall event coordination, client consulting and arranging for the appropriate interaction with third party and vendor support resources in the Segal Visitor Center as needed and requested. This includes basic training for staff, students and other end users. Candidate will develop and upkeep both point-of-service and on-line documentation. Candidate should have strong technical background demonstrating ability to diagnose and resolve hardware and software technical issues independently. Candidate must have clear skills in teamwork. Strong interpersonal communication skills related to provision of customer service and satisfaction are required. This position is also responsible for other web development, AV support and design tasks as required.
Please note: Must be able to climb on a ladder to a height of 20 feet. Must be able to carry heavy hardware such as CPUs, Printers, paper cartons (30-50 lbs). Individual will be required to be on feet for extended lengths of time. Must be open to working the occasional evening and or Saturday.
- Engagement with the installation and development of software and hardware during the build phase of the Segal Visitor Center’s multimedia experience. Work with the Northwestern support teams and third party vendors to complete installation of new digital communication capabilities for this innovative, contemporary and high profile location.
- Responsible for oversight and management of the custom display application (headless Wordpress content management system) for 100% uptime. Staff will track and resolve incident and service requests related to the software stack technology that provides the Center’s multimedia experience.
- Responsible for service delivery and quality assurance for all AV technology in the Segal Visitor Center. Support, includes classroom AV and computer support, video conferencing support, lecture capture support, and events support in the Segal Visitor Center. Staff will track and resolve incident and service requests related to AV technology. This position is critical in establishing and performing functions related to Service Request Fulfillment, Incident Resolution, Change Management, and all service management functions and tasks related to the technology in the Visitor Center.
- Responds to requests and reports escalated for immediate assistance and service fulfillment in the Segal Visitor Center. May serve to co-ordinate and resolve escalated to other units. Support includes routine diagnostic functions and defined maintenance actions. Monitors and takes appropriate corrective action on daily basis in Segal Visitor Center.
- Works directly with scheduled faculty and event coordinators to arrange for customized AV support for classes, events and other activities as needed. Responsible for securing additional resources for special event activities in conjunction with acting The Segal Visitor Center events coordinator.
- Responsible for quality control of day-to-day operations such as access, schedules, and basic training and orientations for any supported technology in the Segal Visitor Center
- Works on other innovative AV media, software development projects and web services that are contracted for by Northwestern departments, as specified by the supervising manager.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in an analytical field or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired.OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- One year related professional experience in the AV industry.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Wordpress as a content delivery platform.
- One year demonstrated knowledge of video conferencing systems and technical proficiency in computing and networking technologies (Windows and Apple OSX).
- One year demonstrated knowledge of networked web based software development environments such as Wordpress.
- One year demonstrated experience in troubleshooting Software VC and AV system problems under pressure.
- Must be able to work closely with student employees.
- Communication-Oral and Written.
- Customer focus.
- Problem Solving.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks while maintaining focus and understanding with tasks have been assigned priority.
- 3-5 years related professional experience with AV and/or software systems support.
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
- Experience with managing high profile events with presentation technology, external vendors and on-site event support.
- Demonstrated experience with client management, coordinating technology resources and support for events.
- Experience with Bluescape, wireless presentation systems and interactive technologies using Bluetooth and WiFi.
- Wordpress knowledge and certification.
- Rudimentary Drupal development skills.
- CTS Certification.
- Crestron Certifications.
- Communication – Oral/Written – Ability to effectively communicate to summarize activities and coordinate planned activities.
- Ability to maintain respectful and effective working relationships with a variety of parties throughout the university community.
- Highly successful problem assessment and solution implementation under high pressure conditions.
- Work well in team setting.
- Ability to maintain focus on highest priorities in the face of competing demands.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.