The Senior Director of Foundation Relations leads the central Foundation Relations team for Development and Alumni Relations to maximize foundation support for Johns Hopkins University and Johns Hopkins Medicine, providing strategic guidance and programmatic innovation, developing strong and productive relationships with academic and administrative leaders, faculty, and development colleagues, and maintaining the integrity and credibility of the institutions with key foundations.
In partnership with development staff, academic leaders, and research administration colleagues, plans and implements strategic initiatives with a focus on opportunities for transformational giving including funding to support the missions of Johns Hopkins University and Johns Hopkins Medicine. As the leader of the central foundation relations office, acts as a convener to communicate and build relationships across all divisions.
Leads the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of a targeted group of local, national, and international foundations. Directs the work of the foundation relations team through their work with divisions and schools, new emerging foundations, and limited submissions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Creates and executes the strategy to secure foundation support to further the institution's education, research, and health care missions. Involves key contributors and stakeholders in strategy development. Identifies faculty projects and institutional initiatives that align with foundation interests. Stays abreast of institutional and foundation developments.
- Works in partnership with the President, Provost, Deans, Associate Deans, Vice Provost for Research, and other academic leaders to determine strategic academic priorities and their philanthropic potential. Packages complex and multidimensional foundation support initiatives, and manages foundation visits and site visits involving academic leaders and faculty members.
- Provides direction and oversight for faculty engagement in foundation support across the institution. Creates a collaborative environment, especially with development colleagues, to enhance strategic interactions with faculty and academic leaders. Guides the foundation relations team regarding where and how to collaborate with faculty to identify, prioritize, and develop academic ideas for foundation support.
- Directs the overall portfolio of existing and new foundation relationships for the institution. Identifies foundation grant opportunities and develops strategic partnerships for these grants with the university's schools, centers, institutes, and departments. Conducts or oversees extensive research and analysis of existing and potential foundation partners.
- Serves as the organization's expert on foundations and corresponding relationships. Acts as a central resource to facilitate access and match the capabilities and interests of foundations with the programs and priorities of the university.
- Serves as the senior foundation relations contact for development colleagues and faculty in the planning and implementation of departmental fundraising efforts, including cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of foundations with major gift potential. Collaborates routinely with development colleagues to enhance foundation partnerships.
- Directly supports a set of divisions and acts as the primary relationship manager for a portfolio of foundations. Leads strategy discussions for engagement of foundations. Provides expertise and guidance in the development of proposals or submissions to foundations and may edit them when needed.
- Leads the central Foundation Relations team in all aspects of strategy, operations, and administration. Guides and oversees the work of two directors (one for the university and one for medicine) and manages a team of six first- and second-level reports. Fosters a collaborative environment that promotes teamwork within the Foundation Relations office and across the broader development organization.