General Descriptionfull-time position with Emergency Medicine; 37.5 hours per week; Monday - Friday;
Assist with coordinating pre and post award sponsored activities for the Department of Emergency Medicine. Report directly to Research Service Manager to ensure fiscally prudent functioning of sponsored programs. Interact with SOM Office of Research Administration to ensure timely and compliant sponsored proposal submissions. Interact with SOM Business Office and Sponsored Projects Shared Services to ensure all sponsored awards are properly established, administrated, and terminated in accordance with the sponsor and University policies.
Assist Research Service Manager with completing all sponsored proposal submissions for the department.
- Coordinate submission of grant proposals ensuring that all applicable direct and indirect cost rates have been applied. Responsible for tracking proposals and other documentation through the signature/approval process
- Engage in meetings with the Principal Investigator regarding the strategy and completion timeline for all sponsored projects submissions.
- Assist with budget development based on PI input and project needs, staying within university and sponsored guidelines for inflation, fringe benefit and indirect cost rates; determine the type of project, duration, location (on/off campus), and apply the appropriate rates.
- Review the budget justification the Principal Investigator submits to ensure the justification is consistent with the budget and programmatic plans; may assist PI with creation of justification as necessary.
- Obtain the proper forms and instructions for all sponsored projects submissions and assist with completion of such forms, which may include but is not limited to the Signature Page, Budget Pages, and Checklist Page, assist with creation/editing of Biosketches and Other Support documents.
- Assure IRB and animal protocol numbers are valid; verify the appropriate human subject compliance training is completed by key personnel. Obtain institutional approvals for sponsored projects submissions by communicating with the Grants Associate in the Office of Research Administration making any necessary corrections to ensure they are submitted on time and accurately.
- Coordinate, monitor and submit all progress reports.
Work in harmony with Research Service Manager to ensure sponsored awards are monitored and reconciled monthly and all costs are appropriate and allocable.
- Monitor expenditures of funds to ensure adherence to award stipulations and appropriate University guidelines. Ensure all costs are allowable, allocable, reasonable, and consistently treated for vendor and supplier invoices, independent contract agreements, and purchase orders.
- Generate invoices for sponsored programs that are assigned as departmental billings; monitor receipt of payment from sponsors; for centrally billed projects, work directly with Billings to ensure invoices are accurate and timely; may participate in the development of a payment schedule.
- Provide monthly reports to principal investigators and meet with PIs and Research Service Manager on a regular basis on financial status of their sponsored projects and gifts.
- Monitor, identify, and communicate over-expenditures to faculty and Research Service Manager.
- Ensure timely and accurate coding and processing of invoices, check requests, travel expense reimbursements, etc. Take initiative in contacting counter parts in the correct shared service departments to help in reconciling purchase orders, and accounts payable or travel documents.
- Complete monthly sponsored programs account reconciliation
- Monitor all expenses, transferring expenses as necessary to ensure accurate charges, ensure revenue is billed and received in a timely manner.
- Assist with contract and grant closeout, such as ensuring the timely submission of the financial report, technical report, invention statement, and equipment report.
- Heavily use various software applications, such as spreadsheets, relational databases, statistical packages, and graphics packages to assemble, manipulate and/or format data and reports. (Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, and SAP are specifically utilized to a large degree.)
Perform other duties as required.