Department: School of Business
Academic Advisor, School of Business
The George Mason University School of Business invites applications for the position of Academic Advisor. This is a full-time staff position with full benefits. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Academic advisors are responsible for assisting students in interpreting and navigating academic programs, services, requirements and policies. Advisors evaluate students' academic progress, develop quality programs to identify and support students' academic problems and career choice difficulties, plan innovative and high-quality programs and events to enhance our students' academic development and interests, and prepare students to meet today's job market demands.
The Academic Advisor will provide support for undergraduate students in the School of Business. The incumbent has responsibilities in the following areas:
Internal Processes and Database Management:
- Update School of Business online materials;
- Maintain and create student records utilizing Salesforce customer relationship management software;
- Maintain open professional communication with faculty and administrators;
- Provide input on student request decisions and participate in appeal committees;
- Provide accurate interpretations of policies and procedures for students, parents and faculty;
- Assist with processing of graduation audits;
- Assist with updates to orientation materials each semester; and
- Utilize databases to create campaigns for targeted outreach to select students, and assist with Mason's retention efforts.
Educational Program Development and Planning:
- Create and manage student services program operations, establish goals, evaluate program effectiveness, and develop or modify policies and procedures to enhance the overall efficiency of the office; and
- Create and implement new initiatives, programs and services to better enhance the overall experience of business students.
- Provide academic advising in individual consultations and group events;
- Plan and implement academic-related events and perform outreach to business students;
- Develop online programs and workshops on academic planning, orientation and academic status for academic development;
- Develop, disseminate and maintain resources to assist students with academic planning and development of academic/career/professional knowledge and skills;
- Coordinate complex activities to support student academic planning;
- Assist with coordination of School of Business student organizations; and
- Understand and implement proper use of rules and procedures concerning confidentiality.
- Bachelor's degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Academic advising experience;
- Ability to develop, implement and manage academic programs services;
- Excellent organizational, communication and presentation skills;
- Technology: experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint; WordPress; and in the use of the Internet;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently; and
- Good citizenship and the ability to work well with colleagues.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 01451z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information. The department will contact candidates directly should additional materials be required. Review of applications will begin after January 18, 2017, and continue until the position is filled.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.