Appalachian State University invites nominations and applications for the position of Dean of the Mariam Cannon Hayes School of Music.
The Hayes School of Music includes nearly 500 undergraduate and graduate students with over 80 faculty and staff members. The School values individuals with experience in a variety of teaching methods and/or curricular perspectives and who will support efforts to foster a caring, respectful, and inclusive community. Generously supported by the Hayes Endowment for Musical Excellence, the School is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music. For more information, please visit https://music.appstate.edu/
The Dean will provide outstanding leadership in realizing the vision and achieving the artistic and academic goals of the Hayes School; oversee strategic directions, personnel, curricula, and budgets for the School; support integrated strategic planning and institutional effectiveness initiatives; and collaborate with other members of the Academic Affairs team in achieving University objectives.
The Dean serves as the academic leader of the Hayes School of Music and its four undergraduate degree programs - Music Education, Music Industry Studies, Music Performance (including Composition/Theory and Sacred Music), and Music Therapy - and two master’s level programs - Music Therapy and Music Performance. The Dean reports directly to the Provost as a member of the Deans Council, which includes leaders from the Reich College of Education, the College of Arts and Sciences, the Walker College of Business, the College of Fine and Applied Arts, the Beaver College of Health Sciences, and the Belk Library and Information Commons.
Required qualifications include the following:
- earned terminal degree in a field relevant to the Hayes School of Music;
- distinguished record of teaching and scholarship/creative activity, and eligibility for a tenured appointment at the rank of full professor;
- successful administrative experience in higher education; and
- successful leadership experience in higher education.
Preference will be accorded to candidates who demonstrate the following:
- dynamic team-building and leadership skills with evidence of deep appreciation of, and support for, shared governance;
- evidence of promoting a caring, respectful, and inclusive community for students, faculty, and staff;
- knowledge of the disciplines and programs that comprise the Hayes School of Music;
- commitment to support disciplinary and interdisciplinary environments and curricula that lead to student success, and the ability to lead faculty and staff in creating transformational educational experiences for students;
- commitment to support faculty development, including creative activity and research;
- exceptional interpersonal communication skills and the ability to interact effectively, transparently, and decisively with academic leadership, faculty, students, staff, donors, and other stakeholders important to the School;
- innovative vision and managerial skills to protect, nurture, and enhance increasingly rigorous and superior-quality programs amid current budget challenges;
- demonstrated success with strategic planning; and
- demonstrated fundraising experience.
Confidential applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled. Review of applications may begin upon receipt. For best consideration, applications should be submitted by February 17, 2017.
How to Apply
A complete application will include a letter describing relevant experiences including efforts to increase diversity and inclusion and interest in the position and a current resume or curriculum vitae. It is requested that the application package include the names of five references with titles, institutions, and contact information. References will not be contacted until approval is provided by the candidate. These materials should be submitted to the Appalachian State University application portal at http://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/14104
Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should send an email with information about the nominated individual to Greenwood/Asher & Associates, an executive search firm, which is assisting Appalachian in this search. Please include the name, position, address, telephone number, and email address of the nominee.
Inquiries and nominations should be submitted to:
Jan Greenwood or Betty Turner Asher, Partners
Sharon A McDade, Principal & Senior Executive
Leadership Consultant Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
42 Business Centre Drive, Suite 206 Miramar Beach, Florida 32550
Phone: 850-650-2277 / Fax: 850-650-2272
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Appalachian State University is a member institution of the sixteen-campus University of North Carolina System. Located in Boone, North Carolina, the University enrolls approximately 18,000 students. Appalachian aspires to be the destination institution for dedicated students who seek challenging academic programs and co-curricular experiences, engaged faculty and a vibrant campus culture that will shape them into engaged, responsible global citizens. Inspired by the ideal of sustainable community, Appalachian seeks to deliver the Southeast’s best comprehensive, progressive education. For more information about Appalachian State University, please visit http://www.appstate.edu
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or sexual orientation.
Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should contact Dr. Sharon A. McDade at email@example.com. Proper documentation of identity and employability will be required before the hiring process can be finalized. Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University’s receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report.