The Senior Advancement Officer (SAO) is a senior member of the Institutional Advancement Office with responsibility to focus on The Boston Conservatory at Berklee, and will be responsible for cultivating and soliciting prospects with capacity to make principal and major gifts of $100,000 - $5,000,000+.
This SAO reports to the Senior Vice President for Institutional Advancement, with a dotted line to the Executive Director of The Boston Conservatory at Berklee, and additionally will work effectively with the President and college leadership, and senior administration at The Boston Conservatory at Berklee, including the Executive Director and Deans. With responsibility as liaison for three divisions within The Boston Conservatory at Berklee – Music, Dance and Musical Theater, the SAO is a member of the IA Senior Leadership team, all of whom have liaison responsibility with long-term strategic initiatives at Berklee, including the Berklee Popular Music Institute, Berklee Global Jazz Institute, Music Therapy Institute, Institute for Creative Entrepreneurship, Mediterranean Music Institute, American Roots Program, Assistive Technology and others.
Through excellent application of cultivation practices, this person will educate and inform prospective donors about The Boston Conservatory at Berklee’s (BCB) programs and needs, thereby increasing the prospective donors’ affinity to the college. This individual will be responsible for soliciting major gifts of $100,000 and above to support the mission and needs of the college. As BCB liaison, SMGO will inform IA colleagues about TBCB developments and participate in donor prospect strategy sessions with other development staff and maintain effective relations with donors, prospects, board members, volunteers, and the community-at-large.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Senior Vice President, the Senior Advancement Officer:
- Manages a portfolio of 250 prospects annually with a focus on a Top 50 target group with expectations of soliciting all in this group within a current fiscal year.
- Serves as liaison between BCB divisions and the IA Team.
- Identifies, evaluates, cultivates, and solicits gifts of $100,000 or more as part of the Berklee’s overall advancement program.
- Participates as a member of the IA Senior Leadership Team in decision-making, strategic planning and goal setting for the IA Office.
- Educates major gift prospective donors, writes proposals, establishes/manages key relationships between prospective donors and college leaders, effectively develops and articulates the college’s case for support, and solicitation of gifts that result in the successful achievement of the college’s major gift goals.
- Builds collaborative relationships within the institutional advancement team and across the college staff (faculty, college leadership, academic departments, community relations) to plan and implement a comprehensive development program for Berklee.
- Ensures that active and effective strategies are in place for all assigned prospects.
- Coordinates with the Annual Fund Director and Research team to identify and cultivate prospects.
- Functionally supervises shared support staff.