| POSITION DETAILSThis position reports to the Academic Advising Specialist. The academic advisor provides academic advising for undergraduate student athletes as well as additional advisees. The advisor works closely with coaches, athletic department administrators, faculty, other academic advisors, and other campus offices, departments, and staff who are involved with the academic lives of undergraduate student-athletes to ensure that student-athletes are presented with a broad base of opportunities with which to optimize their experience at Hunter College.Responsibilities include but not limited to:|
* Provides academic counseling and advisement to a cohort of student-athletes on a range of issues including academic progress and policies, in order to assist them in making appropriate choices and decisions.
* Uses multiple technologies to advise and communicate with student caseload including required CUNYAC queries from CUNYFirst, degree audit software, university database system, project management software, social media, and CRM.
* Actively promotes accessibility and visibility of advising through public programs and online presence. The academic advisor is expected to have staff photo and biography on website, and engage in Skype advising, chat rooms, social media, videos, and online tutorials.
* Actively engages in formal advising working groups such as programming, media design and communication, training and development, and assessment.
* Serves as a NCAA academic eligibility advisor to undergraduate departments, varsity coaches, and student-athletes; participates in timely and ongoing review of student-athlete transcripts to assess eligibility and serves as active member of the CUNY NCAA compliance team.
* Collaborates with colleagues within Office of Advising, Intercollegiate Athletics Department, faculty, other offices within the Division of Student Affairs, and department liaisons to provide services to student-athletes to ensure continued eligibility.
* Identifies and uses resources to support student success, make appropriate referrals; provides support for athletic learning lab and study halls.
* Participates in planning and implementation of orientation for new students.
* Assists in operating and maintaining S.O.A.R. (Seeking Out All Resources); collaborates with other professional and peer advisors to extend outreach efforts to student athletes.
* Participates in providing developmental academic advising for all students on an appointment and walk-in basis.
* Works with faculty to identify opportunities for collaboration with advising and new initiatives, monitors course progress reports from faculty.
* Utilizes research and theory related to student development, student athletes, and retention to promote student success.
* The work-week will include some evening and weekend hours.QUALIFICATIONSBachelor's Degree required.OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
* Two years of higher education administration, advising or related experience preferred.
* Displays and employs solid written and oral communication skills.
* Computer and technology skills, especially Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), experience with social media and CRM systems as well as communications software preferred.
* Experience in assisting with programs and providing services to support student success and retention.CUNY TITLE OVERVIEWProvides academic counseling and planning services to a diverse student population.
* Assists students with clarifying values and goals; counsels students regarding educational options, requirements, policies and procedures.
* Offers academic and personal support to guide students through the course selection process
* Provides students with effective and timely referral to other college and external support services
* Monitors and evaluates students' educational progress by conducting academic progress audits
* Establishes and maintains student files, databases and records; prepares activity reports and analyses
* May specialize in providing advice on specific programs or to specific student groups
* Performs related duties as assigned.Job Title Name: Academic AdvisorCUNY TITLEAssistant to HEOFLSAExemptCOMPENSATION AND BENEFITSSalary commensurate with education and experience$35,576 - $41,623 ($38,701-$45,278)**Salary may be subject to new contract implementationCUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefit. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.HOW TO APPLYClick on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume and scholarly interest or cover letter with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters.CLOSING DATEOpen until filled with review of applications to begin January 2, 2017.JOB SEARCH CATEGORYCUNY Job Posting: Managerial/ProfessionalEQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITYCUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.*Location:
* Hunter College*Job Title:
* Academic Advisor - Office of Advising, Division of Student Affairs*Job ID:
* 16002*Full/Part Time: