This role leads data management and analysis team involved in querying, extracting, managing and analyzing multiple, complex datasets ensuring data integrity, quality, and timeliness of results. The Senior Statistical Analyst oversees the deployment of reporting and analytical solutions. This position serves on related committees and task forces.
Under direction of principal investigators, identify and conduct appropriate statistical analysis for sponsored and non-sponsored research projects, coordinate and mediate with senior researchers on statistical issues, actively participate in publication and presentation of results both in support and as a lead author. Implement data management structures as necessary.
The Biostatistics Collaboration Center (BCC) of the Feinberg School of Medicine (FSM) is recruiting a biostatistician to join a highly collegial academic environment in an expanding Division of Biostatistics in FSM's Department of Preventive Medicine. Responsibilities will include collaboration with biostatistics faculty and research investigators on the analysis of clinical, epidemiological, and basic science projects under the direction of a doctoral-level biostatistician (faculty). Specific opportunities for collaborations are with: (1) the Stanley Manne Children’s Research Institute, Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago; and (2) the Center for Behavioral Intervention Technologies, which is an academic and technical hub for interdisciplinary research on Behavioral Intervention Technologies.
- Manages and plans for data/analysis requests and projects.
- Provides consultation to customers on appropriate data management, methodological issues and statistical analyses.
- Collaborates with technical staff explaining needs of functional users.
- Designs and prepares documentation for data management and/or data analyses.
- Performs descriptive analyses for clients.
- Creates data tables and graphs.
- Writes reports for presentation and publication.
- Presents results at internal/external meetings.
- Manages research and analysis using several databases and/or data tables.
- Determines appropriate sources of data based on requests.
- Designs and writes programs for data entry, data editing, data management, periodic reporting, and quality control monitoring and statistical analyses.
- Prepares and analyzes reports/data
- Extracts required data.
- Determines and coordinates the completion of statistical analyses using appropriate applications.
- Develops and tests reports and analysis.
- Identifies and work with data stewards to resolve data conflicts
- Provides work direction and/or supervises staff such as team members, subordinates, contractors, vendors, students, etc.
- Coaches and mentors staff.
- Manages projects ensuring timelines and deliverables are met and meet expectations.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 6 years data analysis/report writing or similar experience required.
- Please see information highlighted below:
- Infrastructure (extends across applications): Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook)
- Programming Languages and Frameworks: SAS
- Compliance: HIPAA, IRB
- Analytical: Critical thinking, data modeling, database design/data structure, decision making, problem solving.
- Project: Code documentation, collaboration and teamwork, organizational skills, planning, workflow development and documentation.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Communicates effectively one-to-one, or in small groups.
- Strong organization and problem solving skills
- Proficiency with SAS or R for programming and data management and analysis
- Commitment to writing clean, well-documented code
- Ability to work independently to efficiently accomplish specific responsibilities
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- A master's degree in biostatistics, computer science, mathematics, epidemiology or a related field or the equivalent combination and experience in statistics, data management and statistical data processing.
- Minimum of three to five years’ experience in research-related programming, data management and statistical data processing; Proficiency with R, SAS and/or Stata
- Proficiency in REDCap – preferred but not required
- Proficiency in database design – preferred but not required
- Proficiency in R markdown, knitR, or LaTex – preferred, but not required
- Knowledge of medical/institutional research procedures
- Experience with Github- preferred but not required
- 6 years data analysis/report writing or similar experience
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.