This position leads a team responsible to support the development of forward thinking and innovative online and blended courses, programs, and initiatives to provide relevant and valuable learning experiences for faculty and students, including pre-college, undergraduate, adult professionals, program alumni and new audiences worldwide.
Current scope includes the following, with anticipated growth within each category:
- Management of 12-15 team members including online design/learning & digital media production teams.
- Responsible for the development/execution/ongoing support of the following: Executive Masters programs taught in a blended format, Undergraduate credit-bearing courses, Online pre-college courses, Digital content for the Choices Program, a high school social studies curriculum, BrownX, Brown Universityâ??s open online education initiative with edX, Additional special projects within the School of Professional Studies such as the Pre-College Scholars Program and the exploration of certificate programs
- Provides support to grant outreach/projects with other schools/departments within the University including: School of Public Health, School of Engineering, Taubman Center for Public Policy, Brown Medical School and Brown Graduate School and the Office of the Dean of the College
- Collaboration on and support of other University initiatives as they emerge; current examples include continued development of the Dean of the Collegeâ??s Advising@ Brown site(s) and First Year student site, development of a shared â??how to find servicesâ?? site with the Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning and the instructional technology group within Computing and Information Services, Swearer Center online outreach design projects, Center for Entrepreneurship programming, etc.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
Responsible for the development, launch, and support of existing and new online and blended courses, programs, and special projects for current and future student populations through the expertise and efforts of the SPS Online team and Digital Media Group.(50%)
Supports/influences SPS and University by serving as subject matter expert on matters related to online and blended learning. Maintains awareness/expertise in latest pedagogical and technological advances, trends, peer institution practices and initiatives in online and digital learning. (30%)
Supports, develops, and expands the SPS Online team & Digital Media Group as program continues to grow. (20%)
- Bachelorâ??s Degree required. Masterâ??s degree preferred.
- 10+ years demonstrated successful program management experience preferred;
- Significant experience in the field of online learning required
- Expertise with technology and knowledge of emerging developments in online/digital learning technologies
- Experience in pedagogical application of essential software, including course management systems preferred
- Direct experience with online/blended course or program development, instructional design, teaching preferred
- Knowledge of pedagogy, best practices in online instruction and learning, and the evolution of this field
- Evidence of successful work with faculty at top-level program design preferred
- Familiarity and support of project-based, student-centered learning preferred
- Entrepreneurial spirit and creativity necessary for success in position
- Strength in analysis/evaluation
- Basic desktop software including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, calendaring, project management tools required
- Excellent written, oral and instructional/training communications skills
- Strength in documentation, policy development, briefings, evaluation and report production
- Leadership skill, vision and ability to keep multiple priorities in focus and in progress
- Excellent listening and interpretation skills and capacity for iterative collaboration with faculty and peers
- Ability to understand and successfully operate in complex campus environment, creating a network of positive relationships and collaborative connections to meet objectives through partnership with others critical to this position
BACKGROUND CHECK: Criminal
Recruiting Start Date:2016-12-01-08:00
Job Posting Title:Senior Director, Online Learning Initiatives
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sexual orientation and/or gender identity, sex, sex orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.