Harvard Catalyst | The Harvard Clinical and Translational Science Center at Harvard Medical School is seeking a passionate Senior User Experience Designer, skilled in requirements elucidation, systems design and specification. Lend your skills in accelerating research to improve health!
The Web Portal team leads new feature development and ongoing maintenance of web-based transactional and informational software applications, as well as the Harvard Catalyst and SMART IRB websites. Our semi-automated transactional workflow systems require sophisticated yet simple interfaces to ensure researchers can quickly and efficiently accomplish their tasks. The Harvard Catalyst website provides clinical and translational researchers a wealth of information about Harvard Catalyst services and the necessary tools to access them. SMART IRB is a platform designed to ease common challenges and burdens associated with multisite human subjects research by supporting single IRB review at a national scale. The Senior User Experience Designer will deliver designs in support of many of the above initiatives.
We seek a senior, creative, versatile, problem-solving design enthusiast who embodies user-centered design in every aspect of software development. You are equally comfortable drawing out users' needs, defining business goals and discussing technical solutions. You guide executive leadership and key stakeholders in defining responsive software solutions that address researchers' challenges in the simplest and most effective ways. As a member of a three person design team, in conjunction with leadership and stakeholders, you provide the strategic direction that drives the software development activities of a 15 person technical team comprised of two project teams. You work with the technical team to understand their needs and challenges in order to optimize solution definitions. You thrive in a team-based agile development environment.
Duties and Responsibilities continued in Additional Information.
Duties and Responsibilities continued:
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
--Facilitate users', stakeholders', and leadership's elucidation of system needs
▪ In conjunction with Design Lead and senior leadership, identify a strategic vision for product design that will meet the business vision and scale over time as needs grow.
▪ As the liaison between end users, stakeholders, developers and QA, ensure that the vision is practical, feasible, implementable, and forward-looking.
▪ Engage end users and stakeholders in planning sessions, interviews, surveys, observation, etc as needed to elucidate a deep understanding of user needs. Analyze and synthesize results, report findings back to the team, and provide recommendations on how to proceed.
▪ Oversee user acceptance and feedback, striving for tool optimization and user satisfaction.
--Design user interfaces to support tool/website features
▪ Generate sketches, mockups, wireframes, workflows, and process maps that align with the strategic vision for the product and accomplish the tasks in simple and elegant ways.
▪ Define an information architecture that enables ease of use, emphasizing the most frequently needed aspects of the system
▪ Conduct usability studies as needed (and as resources allow) to ensure design meets the needs of the community; this activity may sometimes be accomplished via graduate-level interns whom the Designer may mentor and/or supervise.
--Develop requirements for new systems and enhancements to existing systems
▪ Translate user needs into user stories, specifications, and acceptance criteria as needed to enable efficient software development under an agile framework (ie, light documentation, sprint-by-sprint).
--Work with SW development team to implement tool and website designs
▪ Prioritize and communicate requirements, features, and tasks to software developers and senior management
▪ Negotiate design implementation to address technical constraints and respond to the ideas, needs and concerns of the technical team while supporting the needs of the user community.
▪ Facilitate rapid iteration of mission-critical application functionality. Deliver minimum viable product while maintaining quality software and a solid architecture
Harvard Catalyst | The Harvard Clinical and Translational Science Center is a shared enterprise of Harvard University, Harvard Medical School and its affiliated academic healthcare centers (Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston Children's Hospital, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, and others). Harvard Catalyst facilitates and supports clinical and translational research by providing essential research infrastructure, advice, and education to investigators, and bringing diverse communities together to accelerate the pace of human investigation.
This is a grant-funded position through April 30, 2018 with potential for renewal.
Salary Grade: 058
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary