West Virginia University Institute of Technology (WVU Tech), a divisional campus of West Virginia University, invites applications for the position of Graphic Arts Designer. This position is an integral member of the WVU Tech creative team and will coordinate jobs with internal and external clients as needed.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Perform as the lead designer for University Relations projects and as brand steward secondary to the director.
- Contribute ideas and suggestions for various integrated marketing projects and campaigns as a member of the creative team.
- Research and understand audience needs and target content to various constituents.
- Work with all units on campus to visually communicate upcoming events/information.
- Manage deadline schedules according to project needs and priorities.
- Produce illustrations, charts, graphics and diagrams using Adobe Creative Suite software.
- Provide photography services and manipulate digital images as needed.
- Perform prepress duties to ensure quality printed pieces.
- Assist in following branding guidelines in the development of graphics, letterhead, email templates, etc.
- Work with the Director of University Relations to prioritize, organize and manage work flow and deadlines.
- Provide support for faculty and staff on branding guidelines and communication tools available for internal and external use.
- Review client designs to ensure logo has been used properly.
- Troubleshoot technical problems as they arise to avoid production delays.
- Organize and package all design projects for future access/modifications.
Work Hours: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Work Location: Beckley, WV - However, initial training will occur in Montgomery, WV
Pay Grade: 15
WVU Tech is a regional division of the West Virginia University system with campuses currently located in both Montgomery and Beckley, West Virginia. It boasts a 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio and an average class size of 17 students, allowing personalized attention in a supportive environment. WVU Tech is ranked first in the state for return on investment, and seventh in the nation in annual ROI for students paying in-state tuition.
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design or related field OR any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities
- Two (2) years of directly related experience
- Excellent verbal & written communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to prepare effective graphic materials with examples of completed projects
- Demonstrated knowledge of desktop publishing and graphic design software in PC and MAC environment
- Ability to set priorities/deadlines and work on time-sensitive projects
- Ability to manage and track multiple graphics projects and work collaboratively with others
- Ability to provide aggressive, rapid and creative approaches to problem identification, resolution and prevention
- Knowledge of photography, digital imaging and how to correct/adjust for poor imagery
- Expert knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite
- Background check
- Valid driver's license
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/
WVU is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer. Underrepresented class members are encouraged to apply. This includes: minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
Job Posting: Dec 12, 2016
Posting Classification: Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes