| Location: Framingham, MA Category: Staff Posted On: Wed Oct 19 2016 Job Description: |
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Framingham State University invites applications for the position of Dean of the College of Education. Reporting directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean will be a strategic leader and effective manager responsible for providing leadership to the College faculty and staff in the administration of the College. Diversity and inclusion are core values of the University and of the College/Department of Education. The University is committed to recruiting an academically and culturally diverse faculty, administration, and student body, and the Department/College is dedicated to preparing P-12 teachers to engage with a diverse range of students in urban, suburban, and rural school districts. The Dean will provide leadership in all of these initiatives.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Faculty and staff in the College of Education
The successful candidate will have a record of accomplishment that demonstrates the leadership competencies in order to execute the following responsibilities:
Serve as the academic leader and voice for the College, increasing effectiveness, focus, cohesion, and innovation.
- Articulate and implement a student-centered vision for the College that supports the academic and institutional mission and vision of the university.
- Represent the College to the administration and at professional meetings.
- Function as a key part of the Academic Affairs team, particularly with the academic deans from all Colleges, to provide leadership, collaboration, and innovation for the University community.
- Provide leadership in coordinating College activities.
- Support faculty and staff in curriculum and new program development and assessment of student learning outcomes.
- Work with the Registrar and chairs/program coordinators each semester on scheduling and staffing of courses.
- Work with the AVPAA/Dean of Continuing Education and the Dean of Graduate Studies on the development, implementation, and evaluation of all continuing education and graduate programs offered through the College.
- Provide inclusive support for the success and persistence of all students in an increasingly diverse student body, assisting chairs/program coordinators with program development and streamlining, and facilitating collaboration among departments to address factors that inhibit student program completion.
- Foster excellence in teaching and academic advising processes and practices.
- Provide leadership in assessing student needs and reflections with regard to their programs of study.
Manage Human, Physical and Financial Resources.
- Supervise, support, and direct program approval and national accreditation and reaccreditation processes.
- Serve as direct supervisor for Director of Early Childhood Centers, administrative assistants, Director of Education Placement and Licensure, Data Management Coordinator, CAEP Coordinator, and College department chairs.
- Develop long range strategic plans and related budgets.
- Manage College operations and budget.
- Obtain resources to advance the needs of the College; assist in fundraising.
- Oversee the recruitment, hiring, and mentoring of a diverse faculty and staff.
- Evaluate faculty and staff in the College for personnel actions and encourage and support professional development.
- Collaborate with IT Services and Facilities to assure quality and safety of equipment and physical plant.
- Represent the College's programs within the academic community and in professionally related activities at the local, state, regional, national, and international levels.
- Develop new programs and lead initiatives to establish new departments within the College.
- Provide leadership in establishing and strengthening partnerships with public schools.
- Provide leadership in fostering internal and external community relationships among the College of Education, the Office of Graduate Studies, and subject departments for secondary/subject teaching licenses.
- Supervise the web presence of the College.
- Work with Alumni Relations to build strong relationships with College alumni.
- Serve on the Provost/Vice President's Academic Affairs Council, the President's Council, and other committees as assigned by the President or Provost/VPAA.
- Serve as a member of the University's Academic Standing Committee.
- Be a visible presence for the College on campus and maintain effective communication among departments/programs.
- Maintain a positive work environment that fosters inclusivity and an appreciation for the value of each individual, regardless of background or identity.
- Communicate effectively and respect diverse perspectives.
- Promote a culture of engagement, inclusion, and innovation.
- Accountable for ensuring that affirmative action, equal opportunity, and diversity are integrally tied to all actions and decisions in areas of responsibility.
- Designated as a Responsible Employee under Title IX and the University's Sexual Violence Policy.
- A doctorate from a regionally accredited institution in a field encompassed by or allied to the work of the College of Education
- At least five years of full-time teaching experience in an academic department at a four-year regionally accredited higher education institution in a field encompassed by or allied to educator preparation programs; must show evidence of teaching excellence
- At least five years of academic administration experience at the level of department head/chair or higher at a regionally accredited four year higher education institution
- Demonstrated understanding of teacher preparation programs and regulations
- Demonstrated record of academic or professional accomplishment and a record of scholarly or creative work and publication/exhibition
- Evidence of strong budget management, personnel decision-making ,and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of and experience with student learning assessment
- Evidence of strong communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to the success of culturally, ethnically and racially diverse, adult learners and to affirmative action in staffing and operations
- A record of academic and interdisciplinary program development
- Demonstrated experience with recognizing and supporting needs of PK-12 educational institutions
- Evidence of engaging and establishing successful partnerships with public schools
- Significant experience with national accreditation processes for educator preparation programs
- Strong record of providing College/University service
- Experience with collective bargaining agreements and processes in a higher education setting
- Experience with grant acquisition and fundraising
- Rank of associate or full professor in an academic department at a regionally accredited four-year higher education institution in a field encompassed by or allied to the disciplines represented in the college
- Experience in an urban university
The ideal candidate will bring:
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Sound, rational decision-making skills and the ability to be consistent in challenging and/or adverse situations
- Demonstrated leadership abilities in collaboration, consensus building, conflict resolution, organization, and objective critique