Brown University, Computing and Information Services seeks qualified applicants for the position of Biostatistician.
The Biostatisticianâ??s primary role will be focused on choosing appropriate statistical approaches for the analysis and visualization of genomics data generated by PIs supported by the Computational Biology Core of the CIS Data Science Practice. He or she will serve as the main statistical point person for projects within the Core, and will be an active participant in exploring creative new approaches for leveraging existing methods and publicly available genomics data in alignment with the vision of the Center of Biomedical Research Excellence. The Biostatistician will work collaboratively with other members of the Data Science Practice, which includes the Computational Biology Core as well as data scientists who more broadly support data-intensive research across the university.
This is a three year fixed-term staff position, with the possibility of extension contingent upon available funding. The grade level of the position will be determined based on the qualifications of the chosen candidate.
- For grade 9E Bachelors Degree required and 1 or more years of work or internship experience
- For grade 10E Advanced Degree required and 2 - 3 years of work experience including post doc or research assistanceship.
- Working knowledge of Python, R, SQL, bash scripting, and the Linux operating system.
- Familiarity with R/Bioconductor packages for genomics and genetics analyses.
- Familiarity with bioinformatics resources (e.g. NCBI), genomics databases, and related tools and file formats.
- Expertise with exploratory data analysis and visualization methods, such as static plots (e.g. ggplot, matplotlib or seaborn), interactive plots and animations (e.g. d3js), and dashboards (e.g. Tableau or RShiny).
- Expertise with the design and analysis of experiments, and with standard statistical approaches such as regression, linear and generalized linear models, and mixed models.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities and deadlines, and an eagerness to take ownership of challenging and open-ended assignments.
- Familiarity with Bayesian approaches, machine learning and text mining, and high-performance, distributed, and cloud computing preferred.
- Coursework in biology preferred.
Candidates please note: a cover letter and current resume must be submitted with all applications to be considered for this position.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal background check and education verification satisfactory to Brown.
Recruiting Start Date:2016-12-08-08:00
Job Posting Title:Biostatistician
Worker Sub-Type:Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sexual orientation and/or gender identity, sex, sex orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.