Financial Aid Advisor - English/Spanish Bilingual
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 08850
Location: Rock Creek Campus
Address: 17705 NW Springville Road, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Academic Professional; Level 2; Full-time; Exempt
Starting Salary Range: $39,839/yr to $69,078/yr. (see "Additional Posting Information" section for details)
Job Close Date: For best consideration apply by December 19, 2016
| This recruitment is for a Financial Aid Advisor that is fluent in both English and Spanish languages. |
The Financial Aid Advisor, under the direction of the Financial Aid Coordinator, provides financial aid services to students on a district-wide basis, including two community college service districts. The Financial Aid Advisor will conduct student need analysis, perform federal verifications and packaging of student aid, certify federal loan eligibility, provide financial aid counseling, make professional judgment decisions regarding student aid eligibility and facilitate problem solving with students and parents. Incumbents in this job classification will interact with specific outside agencies to facilitate the student eligibility process and he/she is accountable for ensuring compliance with federal regulations.
This position will be based out of the Rock Creek campus (90%). The successful candidate will be expected to provide substitute services for anticipated and unanticipated absences at other campuses (10%).
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
13.33 hours of Vacation leave per month
1 day of Sick Leave per month
3 additional Personal Leave days per year
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age, as well as tuition reimbursement for full-time employees at other accredited institutions.
| * Conduct need analysis in compliance with federal criteria to determine the relative eligibility of each financial aid applicant. |
* Conduct verification of student and parent application data in compliance with federal criteria.
* Determine the types and amounts of financial aid to be awarded through the packaging process according to federal, state and institutional requirements. Monitor individual student awards. Resolve data conflicts and over awards.
* Work with Financial Aid Coordinator on individual student appeals concerning eligibility. Utilize professional judgment to adjust a student's eligibility based on documented mitigating circumstances in accordance with federal statutes. May refer complex eligibility situations to the Financial Aid Coordinator.
* Provide financial aid counseling to students and parents regarding all aspects of financial aid process. Make necessary referrals to other student service offices.
* Provide support to students experiencing family, personal or economic crises which may impact school performance. Specific focus on working with special needs populations to identify unique needs and coordinate appropriate services.
* Monitor and evaluate satisfactory academic progress of students. Assist Financial Aid Coordinator with adjudication of student appeals relating to academic progress.
* Interact with appropriate outside entities in order to facilitate the student eligibility process.
* Participate in the development of institutional financial aid policies and procedures that will positively impact efficiency and quality of service provided.
* Maintain appropriate documentation via data entry system.
* Participate in annual training and professional organizations to keep abreast of new information and program changes to be implemented.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
| In the online application's Education/Employment History sections, include jobs, duties, and dates that support all of the following qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application. |
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Education, Computer Science, Social Science or related field (experience performing the duties of this job may substitute for the degree requirement on a year for year basis).
- Demonstrated work experience in student financial aid directly related to financial aid counseling, eligibility determination, need analysis, verification and packaging required.
- Experience with personal computers and on-line data systems required.
- Fluency in English/Spanish language is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Working knowledge of federal financial aid programs and supporting regulations.
Working knowledge of Title IV program fund regulations.
Working knowledge of U.S. Department of Education rules and regulations.
Working knowledge of current tax forms, regulations and the implications of such regulations on financial aid.
Skill in researching regulatory information and resolving complex financial questions.
Skill in operating a computer and various supporting software packages.
Skill in computing complex mathematical formulas.
Ability to defuse difficult, angry, or emotional situations with students and/or parents.
Ability to prioritize and manage a significant caseload.
Ability to operate a variety of office equipment.
Ability to interpret and explain regulatory information related to the financial aid process.
Ability to work independently.
Ability to effectively communicate in oral and written form.
Work is typically performed in an office environment. Extensive use of computer requires long periods of sitting at a desk and reviewing student files. During peak periods incumbents will typically work extended hours, including some weekends.
Physical exertion is not a normal activity of this position.
- Significant experience as a Financial Aid professional.
- Experience with industry-standard technology/office technology.
- Experience using Banner (or similar database software).
- Experience advising/explaining degree applicability to students.
- Communication and problems solving skills.
- Functions well under pressure and meets timelines.
Additional Posting Information:
| Additional Posting Information: |
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed responses to the Required Questions from the Committee - scroll down to see "Required Questions" below - (Attach document)*
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)*
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
- Initial salary placement will normally be at Step 1. Advanced initial salary placement for directly relevant professional, business or industrial experience may be applied for new Academic Professionals.
- Upon hire candidate will be required to supply official copies of transcripts for all degrees earned.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- Effective January 1, 2014, all applicants hired by the college will be required to reimburse PCC for the cost of their criminal background check, through payroll deduction.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Faculty/Academic Professional Employees. Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency