The Systems Analyst performs tasks related to the design, implementation, support/maintenance, and enhancement of NU's enterprise, vendor and in-house developed applications. Documents functional requirements, analyzes requirements in the context of software and processes, develops and executes test plans, assists with and documents business process improvement efforts, and works with production issues. Completes content, process, and procedures for technical and functional system work that is low to medium in complexity.
Typically works with senior staff, but may coordinate smaller or less complex projects independently. Analyst provides functional application development and support for the university-wide fund raising and alumni engagement systems. The fundraising system records prospects and donors along with their philanthropic interests and contributions. The analyst should have experience in full project life cycle application software development with relevant businessand technical skills.
- Partners with senior analysts, end users and peers to document and analyze functional requirements, identify gaps and alternative approaches to meet requirements, and ensure all deliverables completed (adhering to approved methodology and documentation standards).
- Partners withfunctional users and technical and reporting staff to determine best approaches, ensuring that approved solutions are implemented in a timely and correct fashion.
- Partners in cross-system/cross-organizational project efforts to deploy new or enhanced services.
- Drafts accurate documentation of process, procedure, and system/application configuration.
- Formulates and executes test scripts, implementation project plans, rolls out communications and training materials.
- Collaborates with analyst mentors on business process mapping, requirements gathering, functional specifications, test specifications ; provides administrative support at meetings as needed
- Reports out on ADEA service releases and provides opportunity for Q&A at monthly SSR meetings
- Contributes to SSR Listserv on application tips and tricks, encourages proper ticket workflow/escalation and resolves open questions
- Outlines medium complexity use cases.
- Formulates test scripts and performs detailed testing for moderate to complex use cases to ensure that the implemented software functions correctly.
- Participates in and may facilitate iterative feedback processes among users, developers, and analysts to ensure software functionality aligns with requirements. Draws on prior implementation experience to engage in discussions.
- May Refine and troubleshoot data loads and interface functionality
- Assists in software evaluation and enters moderate to complex configurations to meet user needs.
- Collects feedback from users on application performance and escalates moderate to complex critical performance issues with technical resources and management.
- Collaborates with technical, reporting and application resources to analyze and resolve moderate to complex production issues in a timely manner. Provides input into possible solutions based on prior system knowledge and basic analytical skills.
- Collaborates with analysts/developers on processing data loads
- Fixes/Enhancements to CATracks reports
- May provide work direction and/or supervise staff such as subordinates, contractors, vendors, students, etc.
- May manage basic projects or work packets ensuring timelines, deliverables and expectations are met.
- Collaborates within ADEA and across functional areas to support colleagues and mentor new hires:
- May assist colleagues with research and testing medium sized work packets
- May provide advice and assistance with Excel to new hires, senior colleagues, and ARD subject matter experts
- May provide advice on SQL to new hires, and transparently shares code snippets and research with Analysts, developers and ad hoc report writers
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience
- 2 years functional/business/system analysis or other relevant experience required.
- Please see information highlighted below.
- Enterprise Applications: ERP/CRM applications
- Infrastructure: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook)& SQL/MySQL/Postgres.
- Analytical: critical thinking, database design/ data structure, decision making, judgment, problem solving, roubleshooting & use-case analysis.
- Project: collaboration and teamwork, functional documentation, organizational skills, planning, workflow development & documentation & write proposals and project charters.
- Strong Analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to take direction well and to work well as a member of a fast-paced team.
- Ability to effectively present ideas, oral and written, to technical staff and customers.
- Customer service and organizational skills.
- Moderate functional expertise with Microsoft Office product suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio).
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent tasks effectively under pressure.
- Ability to use SQL, PL/SQL, or other query tools to perform analysis.
- Ability to acquire technical and functional proficiency with new software applications.
- Knowledge of higher education or public sector business processes including alumni relations, fundraising, constituent management, and online community management.
- Experience working as part of an Agile software development team and/or as part of diverse information systems project teams is highly desired.
- Knowledge of current industry best practices in software design and software development implementation, methodology, including structured testing(Agile, Scrum, Kanban, Waterfall).
- Ability to work as part of an Agile software development team and as part of diverse information systems project teams.
- Experience with design and delivery of data conversion, interface, and security features within ERP/CRM systems desired.
- Experience with Crystal Reports and Cognos (Report Studio, Analysis Studio, Query Studio) desired.
- Experience with Project Management Software (JIRA, MS Project Management Software, Pivotal Tracker).
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.