Typical Duties and Responsibilities
(Include the following. Other duties may be assigned)
- Direct the strategic planning process for science and engineering libraries.
- Plan, develop, administer, and evaluate library services to faculty, staff, and students.
- Maintain administrative oversight of Cabot, Birkhoff Mathematics, and Chemistry and Chemical Biology libraries, and the Physics Reading Room.
- Manage the Cabot library facilities.
- Prepare and recommend annual budget; monitor budget expenditures; assist with grant preparation and writing.
- Prioritize and lead multiple projects while meeting deadlines and budget targets.
- Recruit, hire, manage, and evaluate staff.
- Promote staff development activities.
- Work collegially with peers and colleagues across the Harvard Library in a variety of committees and working groups.
- Maintain awareness of national trends and developments in science and engineering librarianship.
- Contribute to professional organizations at the national level, recognize library trends and opportunities, and use this knowledge to enrich local programs and strategic planning in Harvard's science libraries.
Research and Instruction Activities
- Collaborate with faculty and colleagues across the library system to insure continuing excellence in the STEM research and instruction programs.
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop effective strategies to meet user needs.
- Plan and implement a program of library services that meet the teaching and research needs of diverse departments by developing relationships within and among departments to ensure librarians have a working rapport with faculty.
- Supervise and evaluate outreach efforts to the various academic departments and programs.
- Promote collections and services to graduate and undergraduate students.
- Collaborate with colleagues in the Library's Research and Education division as well as others throughout the Harvard Library working in Research, Teaching, and Learning
- Participate actively in professional organizations, authoring and presenting papers.
- Maintain collaborative programs with area institutions
Collection Management Activities
- Coordinate the management of the collections for Cabot, Birkhoff Mathematics, and Chemistry and Chemical Biology to ensure the selection and maintenance of well-balanced collections to support the teaching and research programs at Harvard.
- Assess, create, oversee, and leverage innovative collections. Monitor vendor relationships.
- Promote cooperative planning for collections, services, and preservation of materials.
Digital Library Leadership
- Foster collaboration with the campus academic computing centers to provide innovative digital services for the Harvard STEM community.
- Work with the Director of the Office for Scholarly Communication in the area of scholarly communications and open access.
- Monitor and support international digital initiatives in STEM disciplines.
The Harvard Library seeks an innovative librarian with proven experience in STEM librarianship who will lead the ongoing transformation of the acquisition, support, and delivery of science information services, collections, and spaces. The Director for Sciences and Engineering Services will integrate diverse staff, resources, and technologies, and collaborate with faculty to cultivate a vibrant research and learning community within the sciences and engineering domain and across disciplines.
Reporting to the Associate University Librarian for Research and Education, the Librarian will be responsible for developing integrated services for libraries in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. The position will directly oversee the staff supporting the majority of FAS science departments, the department of mathematics, and the John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, and will collaborate closely with librarians serving the Arnold Arboretum, the Harvard University Herbaria, the Museum of Comparative Zoology, and the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.
The science and engineering information network will sustain excellence in information access through unique and shared collections, reference and research consultation, database training, support of research data management, and support of scholarly communication, open access, and copyright guidance. The position will oversee a team responsible for building strong partnerships with faculty, contributing at all points of the research lifecycle, and engaging with students in ways that encourage the full use of the Library's many services.
The Director for Science and Engineering Services will be a key member of the Science Libraries Council, a group of science, engineering, mathematics, and medical librarians who collaborate on the selection, acquisition, and licensing of materials for research and learning across the disciplines they serve.
Planning is underway to organize coordinated support for research, teaching, and learning, adapting and implementing ideas generated in a six-month design strategy review. These plans include developing programming for the renovated Cabot Science Library which is being transformed into a student and research-centered academic hub. This position will also advise in the plan to support relevant services for the John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS) on the Allston campus, with the SEAS building expected to open in 2021.
Using evidence-based decision making tools the position will assess current services and recommend and implement continuous improvement to increase successful outcomes in research and learning.
In addition, the Director for Science and Engineering Library Services will collaborate with others in the Harvard Library to articulate a strategic vision of the Library's contribution to achieving Harvard University's academic mission. Together with the leadership of the Research and Education division of the Library, the position will foster diversity, inclusion, and equity and will promote the development of staff commensurate with the leadership aspirations of Harvard's STEM research and graduate and undergraduate programs. The position will also collaborate with others inside the university, including the Academic Technologies Group and others engaged in the support of teaching and learning, and externally with partners such as ReCAP, Ivy Plus libraries, HathiTrust, and other initiatives in shared collection management, collection development, and shared expertise operations.
Salary Grade: 060
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary