The Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences is reimagining traditional arts and sciences education in ways that prepare our students for success in an ever-changing, complex world. The College is the most comprehensive of Northwestern’s 12 schools, offering 47 majors to approximately 4,300 undergraduate students. Our goal is to develop in students a Northwestern Mindset – a flexible, adaptable view of the world that seeks to understand the pressing issues of today and transform them into the promising new opportunities of tomorrow. Staff who work in the College think creatively, work collaboratively, and are dedicated to building a strong community.
The hallmark of our distinctive educational model is diversity in all of its manifestations. We are committed to maintaining and enhancing the breadth and depth of our course offerings and to ensuring the intellectual and experiential diversity of our faculty and students. In short, we believe that diversity is an essential value that lies at the heart of our community and one that needs to be actively encouraged and pursued.
The Laboratory Technician performs activities required for chemical / physical analysis of research samples. All work will be done according to written Standard Operating Procedures, following a period of one on one training. The work will require preparing standards, reagents, and test samples for analysis. The technician is also responsible for operating and maintaining laboratory instruments. The technician will also be expected to assist open access users using the same equipment. The technician will keep a record of all work performed, or reports issued, and helps update existing documentation. The position reports to laboratory director.
Please Note: Candidate must be able to adapt to fast paced environment where schedules are based on the academic, granting and research calendars and unexpected issues will frequently arise due to the nature of research and the fact that students are learning both project planning and time management skills. Job may require lifting items greater than 50 pounds and moving cryogen tanks weighing 700 pounds (on wheels).
- Treats safety as an everyday activity and follows all safety procedures. Performs critical safety related tasks such as waste management, enforcement of safety procedures and maintenance of a clean, safe work areas.
- Prepares standards, reagents, and test samples according to written SOPs. Performs instrument checks in accordance with quality assurance guidelines.
- Operates, calibrates and maintains assigned laboratory instruments, including mass spectrometers, gas chromatography, liquid chromatography and optical instruments such as FTIR.
- Performs all data collection according to written SOPs.
- Maintains a laboratory notebook and uses other forms of record keeping such as spreadsheets, word documents, etc.
- Performs other laboratory related duties as priorities change.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's in scientific field with 2 years’, hands-on, lab experience (lab class work can be counted in lieu of post degree experience).
- Technical degree and 2 years’ experience in an analytical chemistry laboratory be counted in lieu of post degree experience).
- Experience using chemicals, including organic solvents, strong acids and bases.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Hands-on experience with HPLC, GC and mass spectrometry instrumentation.
- Must be able to operate and maintain common laboratory equipment (e.g. centrifuges, sonicater, vortexer, analytical balances, pipets).
- Computer proficiency.
- M.S. in Chemistry or Biology
- Past experience in an academic lab or in a regulated environment.
- Hands-on experience with GC-MS, LC-MS, MALDI-MS, FTIR, polarimeter, X-Ray Fluorescence, UV/Vis.
- Familiar with Unix and Windows operating systems.
- Experience with biological sample preparation for mass spectrometry.
- Experience with Agilent or Sciex mass spectrometry software.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.