Northwestern Information Technology is searching for a highly experienced IT professional to fill a two year NSF grant funded position as a Cyberinfrastructure Engineer. This position will play a critical role in working closely with faculty and researchers in order to:
Effectively utilize available cyberinfrastructure assets and services, including high speed research networks, high performance computing clusters, big data storage and analysis resources, and collaborative opportunities in research activities.
Identify needs and requirements for new and developing cyberinfrastructure support for research activities.
Lead the investigation and initial deployment of new research-supporting cyberinfrastructure services.
In addition to strong technical skills, the ideal candidate will have experience with educational, consulting, and outreach efforts in effective relationship building and maintenance with diverse constituencies in a research-focused environment.
- Directs the evaluation of new and emerging technologies.
- Assists in the long range planning of information technology systems.
Design & Implementation:
- Directs and leads end-to-end design and implementation of new research-supporting cyberinfrastructure services
- Provides solutions by pursuing & resolving interoperability issues with users and appropriate vendors.
- Investigates new technologies and strategies for research-supporting cyberinfrastructure service deployment and integration into the production campus infrastructure environment.
- Directs the technical analysis of software and hardware solutions.
- Develops relationships with vendors, researchers, faculty, and staff.
- Partners with internal/external staff, faculty, and researchers to develop requirements for new services and applications to meet the needs of the campus research community.
- Develops security definitions for the operation and management of research-supporting cyberinfrastructure services.
- Represents Northwestern and presents at regional and national conferences.
- Maintains awareness of evolving information technologies through professional publications, outside contacts, and ongoing professional development.
- Leads complex day-to-day operational activities for maintaining the software and core processing environment of NU's distribution of voice, data, video, and converged communications services including patching, backups, configuration, updating and documentation.
- Leads staff for troubleshooting, preventive maintenance, and corrective actions to ensure the highest availability and overall integrity of NU's distribution of voice, data, video, and converged communications services
- Consults with Service Operation and users to diagnose and resolve problems in a timely fashion while stressing user service.
- Analyzes and isolates root causes for problems and issues.
- Provides solutions to user questions and other queries such as connectivity problems, performance issues, functionality, outages etc.
- Utilizes available tools to monitor performance and respond appropriately.
- Manages projects ensuring timelines and deliverables are met and meet expectations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a major such as computer science, information technology, or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 5-7 years’ experience with IP networking, including hands on experience with Cisco and/or Juniper equipment. Demonstrated proficiency and direct experience with multiple network operating systems (examples: Cisco IOS, Juniper Junos) and high level scripting/programming languages. Proven experience with switching and routing protocols including IP, BGP, OSPF and MPLS. Excellent understanding of TCP/IP protocol suite.
- 3-4 years’ experience with research-related information technology, including areas such as high performance computing clusters, computational science, data analysis/visualization, large data set storage and transfer, and data acquisition
- Direct experience with the research grant process, including authoring grant proposals, monitoring grant fund disbursement, and reporting on grant activity status and performance
- Experience with software development concepts and practices
- Experience in the following areas:
- Infrastructure experience with Cisco routers, switches and firewalls, High Performance Computing (HPC), information security, Juniper routers, Linux Operating System, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook), Server hardware, Storage hardware
- Analytical experience with critical thinking, Debugging, decision making, problem solving, read & interpret technical drawings.
- Project experience with collaboration and teamwork, cost/benefit analysis, facilitate collaboration, functional documentation, iterative & incremental development, planning, organizational skills, write proposals and project charters.
- Five to seven years' experience with IP networking including hands on experience with Cisco and/or Juniper equipment.
- Demonstrated proficiency and direct experience with multiple network operating systems (Examples: Cisco IOS, Juniper Junos) and high level scripting/programming languages.
- Proven experience with switching and routing protocols including IP, BGP, OSPF and MPLS.
- Excellent understanding of TCP/IP protocol suite.
- Five years' experience in LAN/WAN systems, networks, and applications.
- Direct experience with server/storage infrastructure.
- Knowledge of high performance computing concepts, development practices, and platforms.
- Ability to use judgment in interpreting and adapting policies, precedents and work directions for appropriateness to specific tasks or problems.
- Ability to maintain composure and work effectively in a high pressure setting.
- Energy and enthusiasm for this type of work, along with a clear desire to continue to develop and grown in knowledge and experience.
- Direct experience with heterogeneous technology environments.
- Experience with advanced and cutting edge/emerging technologies and frameworks in the areas of software defined networking, automated and dynamic service provisioning, and DevOps.
- Proven record developing strong, collaborative partnerships within and across organizations.
- Experience with UNIX and/or Unix-like systems.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Problem solving
- Quality/Compliance with Process/Procedure
- Results Driven
- Strategic Thinking
- Independent/Self driven work
- Team Building
- Visionary leadership
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.