Advertised Summary Job Description: The CUMC Personalized Genomic Medicine has a position opening for a dynamic individual with significant understanding of molecular biology/technology who is able to work in a fast-paced high-volume environment.
The individual will perform complex laboratory procedures in order to analyze clinical samples; this will require extensive, accurate, and efficient hands-on work. The Laboratory Coordinator will be operating, maintaining and troubleshooting complex instrumentation. Attention to detail, strict adherence to protocols, maintainance of extensive and accurate documentation is expected.
Duties will include:
- Perform nucleic acid extraction, amplification, sequencing, Southern Blotting, RT-PCR and other technical tasks as needed. Compile, analyze and document procedures performed.
- Operate, maintain, calibrate, and troubleshoot complex equipment. Follow-up and troubleshoot un-expected data, investigate non-conformities and notify supervisor/manager of instrument malfunctions or unexpected data.
- Interact with physicians, nurses, and other healthcare professionals on issues related to testing performed by the laboratory.
- Maintain accurate and extensive documentation in accordance with internal and external regulatory agencies.
- Sample receiving, processing, data entry.
- Maintain inventory, request orders as needed and verify receipt and storage.
- Develop or assist in the development and validation of clinical assays and generate the corresponding documentation of recommendations and findings.
- Provide technical guidance and instruction to students, and new personnel, as assigned.
-Attend continuing education, safety and compliance training as necessary
- Maintain continuous and accurate communication with supervisor/manager on all pending and current issues.
- The incumbent will also perform other duties as assigned and as needed by the laboratory including but not limited to: sample receipt, sample accessioning and sample storage.
Weekend hours may occasionally be necessary.
General Minimum Qualifications: Requires a bachelor's degree or equivalent in education and experience, plus two years of related experience.
Additional Specific Minimum Qualifications: - Requires a bachelor's degree or equivalent in education in molecular biology, molecular microbiology or similar fields.
- The candidate must be Licensed or License eligible to practice as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist/Technician according to New York State licensure requirements. Continued employment will require obtaining a limited permit or a license within 3 months.
Preferred Qualifications: - Experience in morphological identification of tumor, light microscopy, histology and microdissection is preferred.
- Related experience in a clinical laboratory, or in a laboratory with a molecular or genomics focus is preferred.
- Should be available to attend out-of-lab discussions and presentations, and must work well in a group environment.
- Requires strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Should be able to perform efficiently in a fast-paced environment and meet strict deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and similar software programs.
- Experience with Southern Blotting, RT-PCR, microarray analysis and DNA sequencing and analysis.
- Master's degree in biology/ related field or a Bachelor's degree in biology/ related field plus 4 years of related experience.
As a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Council of Ivy Group Presidents (Ivy League), it is imperative that members of the Columbia University community, in all matters related to the intercollegiate athletics program, exhibit the highest professional standards and ethical behavior with regard to adherence to NCAA, Conference, University, and Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Physical Education rules and regulations.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Columbia University is one of the world's most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields. The University recognizes the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis. It... seeks to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and to create academic relationships with many countries and regions. It expects all areas of the university to advance knowledge and learning at the highest level and to convey the products of its efforts to the world.