Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 08895
Location: Sylvania Campus
Address: 12000 SW 49th Avenue, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Management; Level O; Full-time; Exempt
Starting Salary Range: Full Salary Range: $96,659 to $140,156 per year ** Salary information - Generally, new employees who meet minimum education and experience requirements for a position will be placed at the entr
Job Close Date: For best consideration apply by January 15, 2017.
| Portland Community College is seeking applicants for the position of Library Dean. Portland Community College (PCC) is a multi-campus comprehensive community college serving approximately 90,000 students per year in credit, non-credit, community education and continuing education programs in Clackamas, Columbia, Multnomah, Washington, and Yamhill counties in the Portland, Oregon metro area. All four PCC campuses have a Library. The Library also maintains a strong online presence. |
Reporting to the Vice President of Academic Affairs, the Library Dean will provide leadership and oversight to the PCC Library across the College District. The ideal candidate will possess a proven track record of leadership, vision, and strategic direction in an academic library environment in order to support student success. The candidate must be able to advocate for the critical role of the Library within the College community. The Library Dean will manage a distributed staff in a high-volume, multi-campus environment who provide outstanding instruction and access to information resources.
If this sounds like a community you would like to be a part of and an important role that you would like to play for PCC's students and staff, please review the minimum and preferred qualifications listed below, and apply today! Please be sure to describe how you meet each of these qualifications so that we can get to know you and what you can bring to Portland Community College.
Here is our estimated timeline:
- Best Application Consideration Date: January 15, 2017
- Initial Interviews: March 13th - 24th
- Finalist Interviews & On-Campus Forums: April 17th - 28th
Additional detail on PCC Benefits: http://www.pcc.edu/hr/benefits/
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403b plans.
14.67 hours of Vacation leave per month
1 day of Sick Leave per month
3 additional Personal Leave days per year
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age, as well as tuition reimbursement for full-time employees at other accredited institutions.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
Position requires frequent travel between campuses on a regular basis.
Work is generally performed in an office environment with frequent interruptions and irregularities in the work schedule. Learned physical skill is required for keyboarding. No special coordination beyond that used for normal mobility and handling of everyday objects and materials, is needed to perform the job satisfactorily.
| - Provides strategic oversight and management of the Library including hours of operation, scheduling of staff and services, policies, and resources including collection development, annual budget, facilities, and staff. |
- Supports the operations of all four campus libraries by coordinating and advocating for the financial and technical infrastructure required to provide innovative, appropriate, and effective library instruction, services, and resources to PCC students, faculty, staff, and other constituents.
- Develops and leads the Library in strategic planning processes in order to identify and to execute priorities that are consistent with the College's mission and ensure outstanding library services. Works with advisory committees, senior college administrators, instructional deans and technology partners in the planning process.
- Responsible for the preparation, presentation, and management of the Library budget. Monitors spending levels, adjusts budget plan for new factors, and delegates most decisions on purchasing and staff hiring to department managers.
- Provides direct supervision to Library faculty, department managers, and an administrative assistant.
- Negotiates agreements with cooperating libraries; represents PCC Library on the Council of the Orbis Cascade Alliance and to regional, statewide, and national organizations.
- Facilitates effective communication between departments in the Library and throughout the district and the college community with departments such as Information Technology, Distance Learning, and Disability Services.
- Promotes outreach to faculty, staff, and students and other users in the use of the Library and its information services.
- Develops and utilizes measures to assess, to evaluate, and to improve library services and resources. Monitors use of collection, services, and facilities.
- Develops and sustains effective professional relationships with partners in the PCC community and the broader library community.
- Supports accreditation efforts for the College.
- Maintains current awareness in library trends and best practices.
- Responsible for adherence to state regulations and accrediting regulations where applicable.
- Develops and implements a system of continuous process improvement for library services provided.
| In the online application's Education/Employment History sections, include jobs, duties, and dates that support all of the following qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application. |
A Master's Degree
Eight years progressively responsible college administration experience in student services, enrollment, or instruction.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Leadership and managerial principles;
Budgeting principles and practices;
Contract management principles and practices;
Conflict mediation principles and practices;
Public relations principles;
Strategic management principles and practices;
Program management and development principles;
Higher education principles and practices.
Directing and providing leadership to subordinate staff;
Providing strategic leadership;
Planning, implementing, improving, and evaluating broad-based programs, policies, and procedures;
Directing the development and management of budgets;
Assisting in the administration of campus operations;
Evaluating assigned programmatic area for compliance with applicable regulations and accreditation requirements;
Speaking in public;
Evaluating research to identify potential solutions, resolve problems, or provide information;
Working with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff;
Utilizing computer technology for communication, data gathering and reporting activities;
Communicating effectively through oral and written mediums.
| Special/Preferred Qualifications: |
Record of progressively increasing administrative experience including strategic planning, budget management, assessment, space planning, and managing a distributed staff (faculty, classified, and management) in a union environment.
Success working with diverse, underprepared, and/or at-risk populations.
Ability to lead initiatives and build effective relationships in highly complex organizations.
Experience designing library services informed by trends and practices in teaching, scholarly research, open educational resources, and emerging technologies.
Additional Posting Information:
| Additional Posting Information: |
- Normally the starting salary for new employees will be at the entry salary for that level, unless approved for advanced salary placement.
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed responses to the Required Questions from the Committee - scroll down to see "Required Questions" below - (Attach document)*
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)*
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
- Upon hire candidate will be required to provide official transcripts for all degrees earned.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- Effective January 1, 2014, all applicants hired by the college will be required to reimburse PCC for the cost of their criminal background check, through payroll deduction.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency