Countryside Veterinary Clinic, LLP
Employment Opportunity in the Stunning North Country of New York State!
Mixed Animal Associate Veterinarian Position Available
Position to be filled as soon as possible
Countryside Veterinary Clinic, LLP is a multi-doctor mixed animal practice located in the foothills of the beautiful Adirondack Mountains. Our small animal division consists of three full service hospitals in Lowville, Carthage, and Boonville and one outpatient clinic in Otter Lake NY. Our large animal division serves over 400 dairy clients across a four county area. We also serve equine, small ruminant and porcine clients which comprise approximately 5% of our large animal business.
Our doctors and staff are committed to providing quality medicine and surgery to a fabulous client base. We encourage our doctors to practice full spectrum of medicine and surgery. Our small animal surgery schedules include orthopedic and soft tissue procedures in addition to routine spay and neuters. All four hospitals are equipped with in-house CBC and Chemistry/T4 capabilities (Idexx and Abaxis). Our full service clinics are equipped with digital radiograph equipment and two locations have Companion therapeutic laser. We are also equipped with surgical monitoring equipment and will be adding Oncura Ultrasound System in January 2017. Referral centers within reasonable commute.
Who should apply?
New graduates and experienced practitioners who are flexible in joining a new team are also welcome to apply.
What can we offer a new graduate associate veterinarian?
- Opportunity to live and work in one of the most beautiful and safe areas of New York where we enjoy affordable cost of living, access to many seasonal outdoor activities (hiking, skiing, snow shoeing, swimming, camping, fishing, hunting, biking, snowmobiling, 4-wheeling) great school systems and the best of a small town lifestyle that is exemplified by caring and friendly neighbors.
- Experienced doctors and staff to offer constant help and support as needed
- Mentorship from experienced doctors including daily dialogue on cases, herd health issues and bi- monthly meetings as group to discuss cases and share CE
- Atmosphere of support and caring in which to hone one’s excellent skills in patient care and develop understanding of client dynamics
- Communication training to proficiently discuss exam findings and diagnostic plan with client so that it is understood and acceptance of treatment plan is established
- Develop ability to organize work-up so that staff, especially technicians, are utilized efficiently to perform diagnostic tests, formulate treatment plan and deliver necessary services
- Commitment to providing opportunities to meet new acquaintances and associates to achieve work/life balance.
- Competitive salary will be offered and full compensation package to be discussed at interview.
Small Animal Opportunities:
- Immediate variety of caseload experience including medical and surgical work-ups in addition to wellness exams
- Flexible exam room appointment time slots to allow more time if needed until proficient
- Regular schedule of routine surgery to become proficient in spay and neuter surgery, basic lumpectomies, dental extractions. Advanced soft tissue and (if desired) orthopedic surgical skills are expected to be developed over time and with specific mentoring from staff doctors.
Large Animal Opportunities:
- Cultivate and develop regular dairy clients through regularly scheduled herd health visits focused on reproductive management as well as all aspects of preventive care
- Develop palpation skills including use of ultrasound for pregnancy detection
- Develop physical exam skills for disease diagnosis and develop appropriate treatment plan.
- Develop proficiency in common routine surgery such as correction of right or left displaced abomasum
- Develop reproductive skills including but not limited to ability to appropriately treat dystocia and peri-parturient disease. The ability to perform a fetotomy and C-section surgery will be developed through mentorship from an experienced clinician.
- Milk Quality Services: On Farm Milk Culture, Treatment SOP development/training, Milking System and Parlor Evaluation
- Nutrition Services
- Labor Management including support/education of farm personnel (including Hispanic employees)
- Develop LA emergency skills through shared on-call schedule (currently 1 weekend per month, 1 week night at most per weeks)
- Equine / Small Ruminant/Pigs : Although comprising a small percentage of our LA business, we serve all LA clients for their emergency needs. Interest to develop additional skills related to horses, small ruminants and pigs is welcome and encouraged.
What are we looking for in an associate?
- Excellent communication skills
- Compassion and positive attitude
- Ability to be dynamic and efficient to achieve professional goals
- Passion for both medicine and surgery
- Ability to work independently when necessary but willingness to participate fully in a team setting
- Willingness to lead the team by example
- Willingness to participate in shared emergency on-call schedule (weekend and weeknight on rotation).
- Willingness to learn from all resources including but not limited to: fellow doctors, staff members, veterinary texts (VIN, books, school notes, etc) and one’s own mistakes
- Strive for excellence and professional improvement
- Appreciation that veterinary medicine is the business of compassionate care and that quality services cannot be delivered without appropriate pricing structure
What skills should candidate possess and/or develop within first 30-60 days of employment?
- Ability to collect and interpret history, perform thorough physical examination and based on those findings develop reasonable diagnostic and treatment plan
- Communicate exam findings and diagnostic plan with client so that it is understood and acceptance of treatment plan is established
- Ability to organize work-up so that staff, especially technicians, are utilized efficiently to perform diagnostic tests, formulate treatment plan and deliver necessary services
- Surgery skills: Ability to perform routine spay and neuter surgery, basic lumpectomies, dental extractions. Advanced soft tissue and (if desired) orthopedic surgical skills are expected to be developed over time and with specific mentoring from staff doctors.
A great place to live and work!
Please visit our website: www.cvcpets.com for more information about our practice
Applicants please direct inquiries to:
Dr. Stacy Kenyon
7364 Utica Blvd.
Lowville, NY 13367
Cell: (315) 523-2496