The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking an Accounts Payable Specialist I / II. This position will be responsible for Accounts Payable (AP) and General Ledger (GL) functions for PAVIR. Functions of this position shall be performed in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations and in fulfillment of PAVIR’s standards of excellence, utilizing continued improvements in processes, policies, and procedures to nurture an environment which fosters optimal productivity and service to our customers.
This is a regular, full time (40 hrs/wk), non-exempt position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved Without Compensation (WOC) appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Process invoices on regular and blanket POs; send invoices to Principal Investigators (P.I.s) for approval and follow up as needed; troubleshoot vendor invoice and payment issues; ensure proper GL account coding on invoices prior to vouchering; ensure vendor checks are mailed to vendors in a timely manner.
- Perform AP check runs as required.
- Support the Accounting Supervisor on month end close and perform other tasks as needed.
- Process expense travel reimbursements, check requests, and subject payments.
- Support the Accounting Supervisor to update the travel and reimbursement policies and implement process improvement in expense reimbursement policies and procedures.
- Work with PIs and researchers and other employees to educate them on the PAVIR travel and expense reimbursement policies and procedures, and ensure compliance with policies and procedures.
- Provide invoices or necessary documentation to the staff accountant or accounting supervisor for monthly expense accruals.
- Ensure supporting details and documentation are complete and authorized prior to invoice processing.
- File AP documents and perform other accounting or accounts payable tasks as necessary.
- Assist Accounting Supervisor or Controller with other projects as needed (e.g. annual record retention process, assisting or providing support in external audits); provide backup for others in the accounting department; update, create, and ensure continuous quality improvement in systems and processes for this position as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Finance or Accounting or other related business degree required.
- Required: 2 to 5 years accounting or accounts payable experience, with a strong emphasis on cost accounting and internal controls.
- Desired: Non-profit and/or research administration experience is highly desirable.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to perform broad accounting functions, such as AP/AR/GL
- Strong skills with basic office procedures, and office software
- Ability to effectively learn new skills and grow with department needs
- Strong ability with spreadsheets and computer applications such as MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and Access
- Experience with accounting or other application system software
- Strong organizational abilities, with close attention to detail and precision
- Demonstrated initiative and thorough and timely follow-through
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively in a team, and to communicate financial information, set priorities, meet deadlines, and solve administrative problems with a professional attitude
- Customer service focus, with an ability to interact congenially and effectively with a diversity of people
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
- Physical: Primarily sitting, working at a computer. Sometimes bending to file paperwork.
- Environmental: Typical office environment.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Qualified Individuals with a Disability.
How to Apply:
Please apply online for job code ‘ADM1705.17’ via our Jobs page and include your cover letter and your resume/curriculum vitae as ONE document.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact our Human Resources department.