Lead Brown Universityâ??s growing Web and digital communications team. Help us create a digital communications strategy that is transformative, user-centric and outstanding among our peers.
Brownâ??s Office of University Communications (OUC) has created a new director-level position for our Web and digital communications operations to drive our new digital strategy. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Marketing Communications, the Director of Web and Digital Strategy will be a key member of the OUC's leadership team, guiding digital strategies to support efforts to sustain and build the Universityâ??s global reputation.
The Director will drive digital strategy and communications initiatives supporting institutional priorities such as recruitment, internal and external community engagement, and the Universityâ??s overall reputation in the higher education and global communities.
The Director will oversee an interdisciplinary Web and Digital Strategy team that develops content strategy, user experience and design for the Brown University website and other digital communications tools. The Director will oversee this team through the development of online and digital content, user experience and user interface design (UX/UI), site information architecture (IA) and mobile-first responsive design, as well as review of Web analytics and use of data to inform decision and advise University colleagues. The Director will bring creative resources to bear through research, strategy, concept and design to build the most effective and dynamic digital experience for Brown.
The Director will develop a strategic plan for future Web growth and priorities, and direct projects and services in collaboration with the Web Services team in Brownâ??s Computing and Information Systems (CIS) division. In a collaborative, shared-resources structure, the Director will work in partnership with content strategists in the Office of University Communications, as well as developers in CIS, to deliver Web and digital solutions for campus clients. This includes reviewing the University's engagement with outside consultants, designers, editors and technical resources.
The ideal candidate is a champion for collaboration and innovation with a proven history of developing and leading the implementation of strategic Web and digital media communications. The candidate will be an expert in implementing successful, enterprise-level, â??future-proofâ?? Web and digital technologies, ensuring positive user-experience and engagement results, informed by data and review.
The candidate must demonstrate management and leadership skills; the ability to be a bridge-builder and liaison between academic, administrative and technology departments throughout the University; have a strong understanding of messaging, visual identity and digital communications practices and strategies across Web, social media, and mobile technology; and demonstrate experience applying UX and UI principles. The candidate will be a strategist who loves data and using it to drive decision-making. The candidate must also have excellent organizational, interpersonal, and verbal communication skills that facilitate collaboration with colleagues at all levels and with internal and external customers. The Director must be self-motivated, efficient, and detail-oriented, and have the ability to manage and work within a budget.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field required; master's degree preferred
- Seven to 10 years of digital experience and management in a complex organization, such as a large corporation or a university
- Extensive experience conceptualizing and launching websites and other digital strategies from content to post-launch management
- Demonstrated expertise applying UX and UI principles, including the development of tailored or personalized user experiences driven by data
- Proven success working closely with strategic communicators and administrative colleagues to develop effective and innovative user-centric, mobile-first communications solutions
- Creative and innovative project development experience, demonstrating the ability to match personal vision with institutional priorities and strategic initiatives
- Strong sense product ownership, balancing technical, graphic, navigational, and client demands
- A self starter who can also work with others to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables, including managing tradeoffs between technology, user experience and client needs
- Experience developing standards, schedules and workflow processes to meet deadlines and client needs
- Strong communications skills with emphasis on empowering colleagues and inspiring change
- Strong command of a variety of content management systems, in order to troubleshoot and understand CMS logic
- Demonstrated understanding of UX/UI/IA development, as well as familiarity with a wide variety of digital publishing platforms and tools (e.g., Drupal, Word Press, etc.)
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite, Apple OS and the Microsoft Office Suite a plus
- Familiarity with higher education communications supporting recruitment, fundraising, engagement and academic program marketing a plus
Background check - Criminal/Educational
Recruiting Start Date:2016-11-02-07:00
Job Posting Title:Director of Web & Digital Communication Strategy
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sexual orientation and/or gender identity, sex, sex orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.