Education: Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry or field of study related to the research of the laboratory.
Experience: Prior experience in laboratory environment preferred. Consideration may be given for a unique combination of education and biology or chemistry experience, such as:
Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field with at least 18 credits in a field related to the research in a laboratory, as appropriate,
Bachelor's degree in unrelated field with at least one (1) year of laboratory experience, as appropriate.
(Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.)
Other: Require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials and/or ionizing radiation. May include working in biohazardous/select agents and/or in Biosafety Level 3 Laboratories (BLS3) which require successful completion of Department of Justice security clearance for work with Select Agents and Toxins, as required by Federal regulation.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to understand and utilize scientific/medical terminology and research theory in both oral and written communications.
- Ability to understand and apply approved guidelines of varying research protocols. Knowledge of best practice in research protocols and procedures.
- Ability to use measurable and verifiable information for making decisions or judgments. Excellent organizational and project management skills. Ability to use a consultative approach to resolve issues in area of responsibility.
- Ability to gain knowledge and meet the reporting needs of the university's policies and practices for Institutional Review, Human Protections, Animal Protections and other the like.
- Ability to maintain high standards with the work being performed and maintain awareness with trends and influences.
- Assume personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions; and learns how to effectively use technology.
- Skill in various interviewing techniques.
- Skill in data abstraction and entry into study specific database software applications.
- Skill in statistical interpretation and data analysis using statistical software as well as spreadsheet and database software applications.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Writes and presents information in a clear and concise way. Interprets and understands written information and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of subjects and information obtained. Ability to network with, and provide information to key groups and individuals. Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Capable of interacting pleasantly and positively with other to meet customer expectations, and provide follow up with customers.
Conditions of Employment:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job. Biosafety Laboratory Level 3 have additional guidelines specific to working in BLS3 environments requiring the receipt of BLS3 training, ability to demonstrated proficiency in BLS3 practice and techniques, and participate in medical surveillance. May be required to have current tetanus and/or diphtheria shots.
Based on the duties of this position, selected candidates are eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union).
Salary Range: $38,686 - $45,000
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday Friday, 8:30am 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.