| Cornell University is seeking a java developer to help support our Financial system. We run Kuali, an open source suite of applications built by higher ed for higher ed. The Kuali community is a strong community of institutions working together to build software suited for higher ed. Our Financial system is currently hosted on premise in our data center but we are in the process of moving it to AWS.|
The person in this position will help support our Kuali implementation of the Financial system. We have a team of 5 developers and 2 DevOps engineers supporting the system. All developers also work closely with the larger Kuali Community as we often share code and contribute modifications back to the foundation to be included in the core code base. We use an Agile approach to develop, deploy and support the Kuali Financial System and integrated systems.
Working as a member of the Community Platforms team, with campus stakeholders and the Kuali Community, the Applications Programmer will:
- Engage in and support Software Life Cycle practices, including:
- Analysis: Meet with customers on new or changing requirements, analyze requirements and document user needs.
- : Plan code to meet the business requirements, maximize reuse and minimize support, meet security expectations, and ensure positive end-user experiences while meeting business functionality needs. Share and review with peers.
- modify delivered code base according to the team's expectations for minimizing ongoing support tasks and collaboration with the Kuali Foundation and other contributing institutions. Share and review code with peers.
- Test and debug: Use team's testing and debugging methods. Track incidents and bugs in the team's tracking software. Test with tools for appropriate browsers, platforms, and devices and expected load.
- software from Development to Test to Production following the team's change management practices
- : as part of the Production Support team provide day to day support for our customers which includes occasional off hours on-call support
- Analyze and researchimpact of business changes and business needs to systems
- Formulate and define system scope and objectives to develop or modify moderately complex software systems.
- Write or contribute to a detailed program specification through discussion with clients, team members and project managers.
- Develop enhancements that enable a positive end-user experience.
- Engage in code reviews to evaluate code to ensure that it is valid, is properly structured, meets industry standards and is compatible with browsers, devices, or operating systems.
- Be responsive and professional to customer questions and needs.
- Collaborate and cooperate with peers and team members, including project manager, business analysts, subject matter experts, other developers, quality assurance specialists, and business users.
- Engage with the Kuali Community, including the Kuali Foundation and other schools in the Kuali consortium.
- Provide technical guidance to other technologists
- Provide support, remediation and troubleshooting on the automated test suite
- Engage in best practices for maintaining and advancing the automated test suite.This will include development of tests using Ruby, understanding of functional needs and collaboration with Finance staff on best approach for automated tests.
- Provide support on legacy Finance applications.
Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 3 to 5 years' professional experience designing, maintaining and supporting applications in a collaborative team-based environment, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in development, debugging and deployment of Java/J2EE systems and database design
- Experience with web application design and development, object oriented design and development, relational databases, testing strategies and source code management.
- Web services and service oriented architectures, object relational technologies (such as Hibernate, OJB, etc.)
- Able to demonstrate an ability to develop competence in new subject areas with little or no formal training or oversight, and continuously expand knowledge about technology and methods supportive of campus business processes.
- Motivated, energetic self-starter comfortable in a team-oriented environment.
- Able to analyze requirements, propose solutions, work collaboratively to divide up work, and meet individual and team deadlines.
- Must be able to work effectively in a dynamic, deadline driven, complex, team-based environment with multiple competing priorities and rapidly changing environment.
- Able to assess and compare various alternatives and clearly communicate the tradeoffs.
- Able to translate customer needs into technical recommendations and development plans.
- Managing interactions and communications with clients, setting priorities, making deliverables, sharing progress news.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience on a team co-developing and co-supporting software products.
- Estimating the impact of new requirements on applications
- Writing technical documents
- Working within a team based code review process.
- Understanding of web accessibility guidelines (e.g. Section 508 and WCAG 1.0), standards-based coding, and usability best practices in development.
- Understanding of web security and best practices for developing secure systems.
- Experience with Accounting and Financial Systems
- Experience or knowledge of Kuali framework
- Knowledge and experience of open source projects, technologies and tools.
- Experience with code versioning, branching and release methodologies.
- Experience with Tomcat, Spring and Struts
No Visa sponsorship available for this position.
Background check will be required.
University Job Title:Applications Programmer III
Pay Rate Type:Salary
Contact Name:Cyndi Morris
Number of Openings:1
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
Background check may be required.2016-08-08-07:00