Department: Communications & Marketing
The George Mason University Office of Communication and Marketing seeks a Communications Officer, responsible for supporting the university's mission by communicating about its educational programs, research, faculty and students. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The Communications Officer is a skilled writer who can spot interesting and innovative stories that convey key university messages. She/he should have a curious spirit and be able to work collaboratively with administrators, faculty, staff and students across the university. The successful candidate enjoys meeting people and possesses confidence in their interviewing skills. This person is creative, tells stories in a lively, engaging way and is able to make complex topics accessible and interesting to broader audiences.
This position reports to the Managing Editor. The incumbent is responsible for researching and drafting stories and news articles for the Web site and for other university publications, pitches stories to media, creates media outreach lists, tracks stories, and produces reports. This individual may also handle incoming media calls; manage media at live events; and arrange interviews for administrators, faculty, staff and students. The ideal candidate is a consumer of news who can identify trends and timely topics and is able to cover a myriad of science and engineering topics. The incumbent will be a valued member of a team whose mission is to promote one of the most innovative and diverse universities in the United States.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience, preferably in communications, English, journalism or a similar field;
- Two to three years of experience writing, editing, public relations or news reporting;
- Must possess excellent writing, verbal, and editorial proofreading skills, with a thorough knowledge of Associated Press (AP) Stylebook;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects while ensuring deadlines are met;
- Organizational skills essential;
- Must be detail-oriented;
- Must be a self-starter with exceptional interpersonal skills and the desire to work collaboratively;
- Skill in interviewing a variety of people and gathering information from many sources;
- Skill in media relations and successful medial pitching; and
- Creativity, problem-solving skills, and an eye for detail are imperative.
- Bachelor's degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, and demonstrated experience in media outreach; and
- Background in engineering and science.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02083z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, a list of three professional references with contact information, and two to three writing samples (compiled into a single document).
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.