As a member of the production team and under general supervision, is responsible with others for the production and service of the menu of the day and/or catering meals using established procedures and standardized recipes while observing the highest standards of sanitation, safety and quality assurance.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Knows the principles of and correctly performs basic culinary skills such as: vegetable and fruit preparation and cookery; salad and salad dressing preparation; egg cookery and grill work; sandwich and filling preparation and assembly; stock and soup cookery; basic sauce preparation; basic garde manger plus buffet service; garnishing; sauteing; breading and deep fat frying; meat, poultry and fish cutting, broiling, roasting, braising, boiling, glazing, and stewing; and, preparation of simple desserts such as pudding, whipped cream, and bakeoff items.
- Understands basic organizational structure and reporting relationships; understands interrelationship between operating units, and adheres to established methods of requisitioning and transferring goods within and between units.
- Understands format of and follows standardized recipes and procedures, while observing standard holding and serving times and temperatures.
- Coordinates the efforts of others in accomplishing simple tasks, and assists subordinates in successfully accomplishing tasks.
- Always observes the highest standards of safety in performing tasks, especially those involving wet floors; cutting, slicing and chopping equipment; stoves, ovens, steamers, and grills; and cleaning chemicals.
- Has complete understanding of the principles of, and consistently practices, safe food handling procedures to reduce/prevent any incidence of foodborne illness.
- Operates assigned kitchen equipment correctly and safely; correctly disassembles, cleans and sanitizes all kitchen equipment; and maintains an uncluttered and sanitary work area.
- Performs basic equipment maintenance such as oiling, sharpening, etc; reports any malfunction or needed repair to supervisor; always leaves equipment in proper operating condition.
- Observes all policies, procedures and regulations of the kitchen, department and University.
- Improves skills by learning and demonstrating the tasks and responsibilities of Second Cook.
- Promotes teamwork by cooperating with and helping peers; is sensitive to the needs, perspectives, and beliefs of others.
- Maintains a neat, well-groomed appearance.
- Performs other tasks as requested.
- Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English;
- Basic math skills which render candidate capable of converting recipes and making volume-weight conversions;
- Ability to understand symbols of weight and measure;
- One year experience as a Cookâ??s Helper or experience that demonstrates mastery of the tasks of cook as described below;
- Two years post-secondary culinary school attendance preferred;
- Ability to perform production tasks with speed, safety, efficiency, and accuracy within defined time frames while coordinating the efforts of others;
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time, to lift heavy and bulky supplies, and to tolerate extremes of heat and cold;
- Ability to operate all kitchen equipment correctly and safely.
This position is scheduled to work 40 hours per week for 52 weeks per year.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal and education records check satisfactory to Brown.
Recruiting Start Date:2016-04-21-07:00
Job Posting Title:Cook
Grade:Dining Services Union Rates
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sexual orientation and/or gender identity, sex, sex orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.