| Advertised Summary Job Description: Reporting to the Executive Director of Strategic Planning, the Director of Strategic and Financial Analysis ('Director') supports the Strategy group in overseeing the cross functional, management focused strategy services across the organization, driving the new program development process, and facilitating the annual program review process. The Director will have primary ownership of the school's long-term financial forecasting and strategic financial analyses. The Director collaborates and works seamlessly with all functional areas and programs within the organization to understand and inform financial decisions impacting the school. The Director also plays a key role in collaborating with all members of the Finance Department by compiling and analyzing key financial information for the school. The Director will work and manage resources in ambiguous project conditions and must be comfortable with quickly shifting priorities. Additionally, the Director must have an intense client-service focused approach to his/her process and work product.|
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Long-Term Financial Projections and Financial Analyses
- Build, own and manage the school's long-term forecast and model
- Provides financial analyses to access and determine financial decisions for new strategic initiatives, new programs and relevant program and department initiatives
- Work with appropriate stakeholders to obtain necessary financial drivers and assumptions needed to evaluate new opportunities
- Supports leadership in ad hoc, high priority initiatives as needed
Annual Program Review Process and Program Portfolio Management
- Prepare the strategic planning process including an annual program review for all of the school's programs with goals to align program-specific goals with the overall strategy for the school, prioritize proposed strategic initiatives, and oversee implementation for selected actionable initiatives.
- Collaborates with the Finance and Analytics team to prepare data reports and templates to guide Program Directors through the strategic planning process.
- Project management function for key initiatives resulting from the annual program reviews, new program and program redesign development processes to ensure initiatives are driven to successful completion with stakeholder alignment.
- Conducts deep dive current state assessments, performing gap analysis, and creating transformation plans to meet organizational goals
- Utilizes strategy frameworks to analyze potential opportunities (e.g., partnerships, programs, centers)
- Works across all operational and academic areas of the organization to socialize project outcomes
- Conducts analyses and supports implementation of ad hoc, high priority initiatives for the Executive Committee
Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND/OR EXERCISED
Works directly under the review of the Executive Director of Strategic Planning. May also work under the direction of the Associate Dean of Finance and Strategy on high priority projects, on an ad hoc basis.
General Minimum Qualifications: - Bachelor's Degree required
- 5 years of related experience
Additional Specific Minimum Qualifications: - Demonstrated expertise in complex financial modeling, financial based analyses and market research. Strong analytical and interrogative skills.
- Demonstrated expertise in developing and storyboarding both executive level and detailed presentations
- Demonstrated expertise employing strategic frameworks and conducting gap analysis
- Demonstrated expertise working in ambiguous project conditions with shifting priorities
- Expert level proficiency with the Office suite of programs (PowerPoint, Excel, Visio, Outlook, Word)
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail, strong organization and time management skills
- Proven relationship development and management skills
- Significant experience with managing multiple projects towards successful completion
- Proven consultative and client service approach to solving business problems and addressing new opportunities
- Ability to work collaboratively in teams, or independently to achieve project goals
Preferred Qualifications: - Advanced degree in relevant field. MBA strongly preferred.
- Prior management consulting or investment banking experience desired.
- Prior experience specifically within strategy or business planning function desired.
- Prior experience working in higher education preferred.
As a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Council of Ivy Group Presidents (Ivy League), it is imperative that members of the Columbia University community, in all matters related to the intercollegiate athletics program, exhibit the highest professional standards and ethical behavior with regard to adherence to NCAA, Conference, University, and Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Physical Education rules and regulations.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.