The Program Assistant 1 provides standard and routine clerical and administrative support to the Department of Linguistics which may include word processing, data entry, ordering supplies, opening and sorting mail, copying, filing, faxing, answering phones, greeting visitors, providing information, and/or scheduling meetings.
- Prepares and types form letters, simple memos, emails, labels, routine correspondence, etc. Types, copies and/or distributes reports, proposals, presentations, etc. Proofs for spelling and grammar. Enters information into spreadsheets and databases. May run standard reports.
- Uploads content to dept website. Manage the graduate, faculty and visitor listservs and send departmental and university announcements to these communities.
- Maintains inventory and orders supplies; resolves payment and delivery problems. Processes petty cash, travel and parking reimbursements, grant expenses, invoice payments, etc. May balance accounts.
- Prepares forms and verifies information.
- Makes appointments and may complete registration and travel arrangements. May schedule rooms and arrange for routine technology and refreshments for meetings.
- Answers phones, routes callers, takes messages, greets visitors, responds to inquiries, requests and provides routine information. Contacts repair personnel as requested for copy machine, etc.
- Provides information on courses, general requirements and policies and procedures; processes forms; sets-up and maintain records; reviews forms for completeness, etc. May be responsible for class schedules, registration, proctor exams and/or coordinate copyright clearance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A high school diploma or its equivalent along with 1 year of administrative support experience is required.
- Basic knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, email, and database software programs is required.
- Coachability - Receptive to feedback, willing to learn and embrace continuous improvement.
- Collaboration - Willingness to facilitate open and effective communication, cooperation and teamwork within and outside of one's own team.
- Collegiality - Helpful, respectful, approachable and team oriented, building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Microsoft Office - Experience with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.
- Communication - Oral and Written - Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively one-to-one, in small groups and in public speaking contexts. Ability to write precise, well-organized emails, letters and proposals while using appropriate vocabulary and grammar.
- Customer Focus - Regularly monitors customer satisfaction and provides suggestions to improve quality and value to the customer.
- Data Entry - Basic data entry skills.
- Dependability - Effectively performs duties and responsibilities with attention to detail and support for organizational policies.
- Ethics and Integrity - Demonstrated success following through on commitments while incorporating courage, objectivity, trustworthiness, honesty, respect and fairness in daily actions.
- Meets Deadlines - Displayed consistency and success in adhering to deadlines.
- QUALITY - Quality/Compliance - Demonstrated willingness to strive for excellence with work processes and outcomes, honoring policies and regulatory requirements.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.