- The position is a General Mechanic within the NEIDL/BUMC Office of Facilities Management. The individual will be part of the maintenance team responsible for executing both the scheduled preventative and the reactionary maintenance program. The focus of the individual's tasks will be associated with the operation of the Biological Safety Laboratories (BSL) including core infrastructure and ancillary support systems.
- Work assignments of a General Mechanic may span multiple trades (i.e., electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc.), however this position will be the principal resource for plumbing systems in the facility.
- Perform system tests on generators, fire alarm systems, security systems, effluent treatment, switchgear, and other systems as assigned.
- Performs inspection rounds and records the information into the appropriate files and databases.
- Participate in and successfully complete on going safety trainings required to access active BSL2, 3, and 4 laboratories.
- Performs preventive scheduled and reactive maintenance on base building systems, laboratory support systems, and in laboratories including active BSL2, 3 and 4 laboratories.
- Maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs the building HVAC and control systems and related components for safe, efficient, and cost effective operation.
- Installs, maintains, and repairs equipment including but not limited to high and low pressure steam lines, steam boiler, steam traps, pumps, heat exchangers, control valves, humidifiers, drain lines, plumbing vents, Effluent Decontamination System, ph neutralization system, etc.
- Replace motors, belts, bearings, pump seals and adjust alignment.
- Installs, maintains and calibrates Building Automation System (BAS) components related to base building and laboratory systems
- Prepares stock orders for purchasing.
- Ensures work areas are clean and free of debris upon completion of all tasks.
- May mentor other mechanics and helpers on maintenance of specific systems.
- Responds to calls from the Control Center and will be part of an on-call rotation with the other Mechanics
- Must attend certificate training provided by BUMC: ex. Lockout tag out, NFPA, Hazardous communication
- Work with and support contracted service providers as necessary
Salary: Grade 00