Job Description: The residential program at Brown University aspires to provide high quality student-centered community development, cocurricular learning, and support to advance the educational mission of the University for the seventy-five to eighty percent of undergraduates who live in University residence halls. Undergraduate students who live off campus should receive assistance with the transition to independent living. The Director of Residential Life is responsible for providing quality residential experiences for students, and delivering leadership and strategic vision for the Office of Residential Life, staff, program and facilities. As an educator within the division of Campus Life, the Director works closely with colleagues in other Campus Life offices to deliver inclusive community and skills development specific to Brownâ??s liberal arts open curriculum and student population. The Director oversees the administration and management of the housing programs and residence halls, directs departmental operations, oversees the Residential Life budget, sets near- and long-term goals and priorities, and establishes implementation strategies. The Director collaborates with other Campus Life and University departments to provide programs and services, and to develop and implement policies within a student development framework. and with a wide range of University colleagues to respond to campus emergencies.
- Master's degree required; preferably in higher education, human/student development, or a related field.
- Minimum of seven to ten years of experience in higher education or related field. Related and progressively responsible experience, particularly in managing a complex operation, preferred.
- Active engagement with current best practices and an awareness of emerging issues in higher education, student housing, and student affairs;
- Evidence of creative strategic thinking and proven ability to work in a dynamic environment, to facilitate organizational change, and to improve organizational performance;
- Evidence of cultural competence and inclusiveness; sensitivity to and understanding of diverse perspectives that students and staff bring to their work, including those of academic, socioeconomic, culture, race and ethnicity, ability, gender, sexuality, and intersectional identities;
- Demonstrated experience in personnel and fiscal management, including the ability to manage a departmental budget, and to hire, cultivate and retain outstanding talent;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to exercise a high degree of diplomacy and discretion required;
- Strong collaborative energy, demonstrated capacity as a fair and respectful leader, and proven ability to provide effective guidance to other professional, support, and student staff;
- Integrity, sound judgment, and the ability to make difficult decisions;
- Strong written and oral communication skills, and computer literacy.
Background Check: Criminal and education verification
Recruiting Start Date:2016-10-31-07:00
Job Posting Title:Director of Residential Life
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sexual orientation and/or gender identity, sex, sex orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.