The Dental Director provides overall vision, leadership, and management of CUHCC’s Dental Department and Dental Training programs. The Dental Director is responsible to develop and monitor performance on annual quality, productivity, and budget objectives. As a part of CUHCC’s Leadership Team, the Dental Director works closely with other areas to ensure integrated care, optimal patient access and outcomes, and inter-professional education.
The Dental Director will serve as the primary liaison between the Dental School and CUHCC to connect and integrate cutting edge dental education with clinical practice and training.
The Dental Director will develop curriculum and clinical placements that support evolving models of dental care. Components of the evolving models include, but are not limited to, the integration of dental therapists, inter-professional team based care for patients with complex medical, dental and mental health issues, and how to teach and provide care to people experiencing oral health disparities.
This position supervises all dental students/residents, dentists, dental therapists, dental hygienists and works closely with the Dental Practice Manager. This position reports to the Clinical Director.
Essential Functions & Percentage for Each Function:
1. Patient Care and Student Supervision (50%)
- Provides direct dental patient care.
- Maintains charts in the electronic health record system(s) and develops a care plan for each patient.
2. Student Training Program (20%)
- Develops an active collaborative relationship with and represents the interests of both CUHCC and the School of Dentistry to plan and administer the student training program and engage in other shared activities.
- Supervises dental students and residents as they train at CUHCC according to the instruction taught at the School of Dentistry.
- Provides direction to preceptors and ensures that students and residents receive systematic training in dental procedures and patient care and attend the annual Outreach Dental Review at the School of Dentistry.
- Collaborates with the Clinic Leadership Team to provide inter-professional education to students and staff.
- Strengthen the partnership between the School of Dentistry and CUHCC with regards to patient care, Inter-professional education and team based care.
3. Dental Clinic Management and Operations (30%)
- Develops an annual business for the Dental Department with productivity, quality, and other measures of success.
- Works with CEO to assure that the clinic mission and goals are being met.
- Serves on the clinic Leadership Team.
- Provides overall vision, leadership and engagement to the Dental Department and organization using a team-based approach.
- Leads or co-leads regular staff meetings with the Dental Practice Manager and maintains communications with staff.
- Supervises and works closely with the Dental Practice Manager to ensure smooth operations and excellent patient care, while optimizing productivity and efficiency.
- Provides a written monthly report to the CEO outlining progress on objectives.
- Collaborates with directors of Medical and Mental Health, and Operations to optimize comprehensive and integrated care and services.
- Develops and facilitates a systematic quality review process to include peer review for the Dental Department.
- Recruits, trains, coaches, monitors and evaluates Dentists, Therapists, Hygienists, and Residents/Students. Ensures that staff members work at the top of their licensure.
- Develops and/or promotes departmental and individual training opportunities for staff.
- Works with development staff to maximize grant revenue.
- Maintains clinical operations to conform with State and Federal law and guidelines, including staff license requirements, equipment licenses, OSHA, BPHC, and HIPAA requirements.
- Networks and develops good community relationships with vendors, community agencies, other dental practices, FQHCs, schools, and others to promote CUHCC.
- Monitors patient satisfaction.
- Attends Board meetings and provides information to the board of directors as requested.
- Supports and optimizes the use of the EHR(s) in delivering and documenting services and education.
*The employer reserves the right to change or add duties to this position as long as the changes and/or additions are consistent with the job classification.