Researchers at the Northwestern Brian Tumor Institute (NBTI) and the Department of Neurosurgery draw from a curated longitudinal database and the multitudes of clinical data stores in the Northwestern Medicine Enterprise Data Warehouse (NMEDW) to support the institute's mission of research and discovery. This analyst will support to NBTI and Department of Neurosurgery investigators in their crucial reliance on research data analysis and workflow.
The Research Data Analyst provides expertise in data management, quality assurance, analysis, reporting, and secure data disbursement from research databases. This role establishes data accuracy and validity derived from a variety of systems. Combined data captured in various data stores. This position performs data analysis using statistical techniques. This role researches and analyzes information using multiple databases. The Research Data Analyst creates reports and visualizations of data and results. This role assists in the preparation and delivery of decision support reports to both internal and external customers.
- Partners with clients to define requirements based on business objectives.
- Develop standardized templates, policies, and procedures for internal and external reporting.
- Designs and prepares documentation for qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
- Discuss findings with senior management.
- Develop queries and quality metrics.
- Interprets results using a variety of techniques, ranging from simple data aggregation to more complex statistical analysis.
- Design, implement, and manage complex databases.
- Devise automated and novel means to populate research database from original clinical sources.
- Completes data cleaning and organizes data files for analysis.
- Reviews data and identifies quality issues.
- Presents findings in an appropriate manner.
- Provides work direction and/or supervises staff such as team members, subordinates, contractors, vendors, students, etc.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 2 years data analysis/report writing or similar experience required.
- Please see information below
- Enterprise Applications: Digital repository, eIRB
- (extends across applications): Code Repositories (Git, Subversion),Hadoop, MapReduce, information security, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Lync, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook), SQL/MySQL/Postgres
- Programming Languages and Frameworks: Python, Shell Scripting, XML
- Compliance: HIPAA, IRB
- Analytical: data mining, data modeling, data warehouse design/develop, database design/ data structure, Debugging
- Project: Code documentation, collaboration and teamwork, functional documentation, iterative and incremental development, planning
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Medium to advanced proficiency in SQL
- Programming preferably in scripting language used for data analysis (PERL, Python, R)
- Utilization of data analysis and visualization libraries
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Development and deployment of web-based systems for secure database access and management
- Browser and web-based interactive data visualizations (e.g. D3.js)
- Machine learning and other data mining libraries (e.g. scikit-learn, NLP)
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.